Cracks in His Defenses

Goodness gracious, I love Mai.

Warning: lots of dialogue, but it's important.

Dedicated to DestinyGirlz because without her I seriously wouldn't know what to do with myself. I didn't add blushy in here, sorry girlie :( It wouldn't fit!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yami went home that night with a strangely light heart and an even lighter smile.

The low light from the lamp posts guarding the street flickered over his sharp features and his (very nice) car as he drove through downtown, taking the time to go slow so he could properly think through the unnatural emotion taking root in his chest. It was soft, and airy, yet so full and warm. So, so warm.

When was the last time he felt like this? Surely not at any point in the last few years.

Yami chuckled softly as the warmth spread to his lips, stretching the appendages up until his cheeks hurt. He couldn't stop. He wouldn't. This feeling made him fly higher than cloud nine. Losing it was simply out of the question.

In his euphoria Yami turned up the volume on his stereo and rocked back and forth to Fall Out Boy's Centuries blasting on KLTY. The music both soothed and pumped him in his current state.

God, it had been a good night. He'd known from the start Yuugi never truly had anything against him and it was nice to be proven correct. The little spitfire's sexy sass and, yeah, Yami's own assertive personality made matters more complicated than they should've but that was beside the point. It was nice having them establish as -- somewhat shaky -- friends.

That conversation with Yuugi, no matter how quick it'd been, made something in him shift. He'd been curious about the intern beforehand but then...this. Yami knew it had a chance of going somewhere. It was different, immensely so. He couldn't put it into words.

The song ended and shifted into some mellow mix he'd never heard before. Yami bobbed his head to the beat all the same, thrumming his fingers against the steering wheel to keep the rhythm. He couldn't get over how great this evening was turning. Someone was truly looking out for him up in the big sky.

Yami got home and stripped off his clothes, leaving himself in only a pair of boxers. He brushed his teeth, ran his fingers through his hair (there was no way a comb was going through that mess) and grabbed a book from his many bookshelves as he went to bed. The book was left on his nightstand, forgotten, as soon as the covers were pulled over his freezing skin. He took to thinking of big amethyst eyes in the off-chance he'd dream.

He didn't want just casual sex anymore. Tonight changed everything and made him want something more.

---

When Yuugi went to work the following Monday he didn't expect to see sharply dressed businessmen waiting in the lobby. He didn't think too much of it until he passed the group and a man forcefully took him by the arm. All kinds of thoughts went through his head. What did they want with him? Why was the man grabbing his arm like that?

What on earth was going on?

Whatever it was, Yuugi didn't like it. He tore his arm out of the man's grasp and stared at him in disbelief. "Can I help you?"

"We need to speak with Misaki Tsukino. Immediately." The man's Japanese was quite poor. but still fluent enough for Yuugi to have a clear understanding of what he wanted.

Yuugi forced a thin, light-lipped smile, pushing down an old fear from his middle school days. "Has Miss Kiishan, our esteemed secretary, paged him?" The devil-woman frowned at him over the secretary desk. Yuugi didn't really care.