1

The people call me THE GREY NEC-CRO, me story starts like so many others do in a time that feels like it happened a lifetime ago. I grow up in a poor family, where the only things we had were the things we had on our backs and the roof above our heads. Me Maw was an abusive woman to everyone around her.

Me Da told me that when I was a wee child, she acted that way out of sadness, for I was their only living child. Me siblings were buried below where I slept at night in our one-room shack. It was this sadness that kept her from making an income for the "house".

Me Da was a wall defender keeping the nightmares away, while his family had nothing. Everyone else slept gentle and safe in their comfy beds from the nightmares he saw every night. Me Da kept the monsters from the towns crumbling walls that were the only defense that kept the monsters of the night away.

The People of the wall was what the town called me Da and the saviors of the town. Me Da was the only thing in this world that made me happy, and the thought I could join him in the night on the wall someday. That happiness was short-lived for when I was ten winters old, he was taken from us by a Demon of the night.

Before Da's death, Maw was only verbally abusive; after Da's death. She became very physically abusive to the only target she would get away with hitting, which was me. After me sixteenth winter, me finally had enough with her shite. Me put me foot down and decked me, Maw, in the nose.

Her nose started bleeding, she started shouting as if I was the one beaten her like she did me. With all her damn yelling, the Demon's that got through the wall started after the house. They started tearing the shack apart with no help nearby. Both of us would have been goners at that moment.

If it hadn't been for the Stranger who came to our aid. This Stranger tore through the demons like they were nothing; this Stranger had pale skin and inhuman strength. Looking back, we got lucky the demons who tore through our home were low-level demons.

It was that low-level status that really saved our arses. Otherwise, we would have been dead along with the Stranger, I didn't learn till later what our savior was. The demons tore through our home like nothing. What would they have done to flesh and bone? In the morn, come to find out my Maw had reported me to the local authorities saying I was the one doing the beating in our home.

The judgment was swift, me was found guilty of the crime. They made me an example of what happens when you don't follow the rules. Me punishment was death by Rat culling, the worst punishment that could have been passed down. Death by Demon was better for it was a quick death by swarms of them.

Death by the rats' culling was worse, for these rats were not small but the size of a horse. This punishment was only given for the worst crimes in our small society. For in the sewer, below, no light had been seen since the town was laid on its foundations.

The demons could walk during the day, for the darkness was absolute down there. Only the light of day could ultimately drive the Demons from town, for they hungered for blood and gore. No one knew why they wanted blood and flesh, but only the light of day could drive them off for whatever reason.

The only good thing bout the rats was they don't like demons, and the Demon's don't like them. Too many rats down below drives the rats above ground. That's why unlucky souls like meself got sent down below to kill the Rats or being killed.

To prove I was doing the job, I was to deliver every head back to the surface. When enough of the rats were dead me sentence was up. The only thing was death by thousands of bites or one infected one; it is a death sentence in many ways. I was led to one of the many entrances to the sewer in manacles, a dagger resting against the base of my skull where me spine connects to the skull.