Chapter 23

Present Day 

UNSC Containement Center

"I gave you Co, now give me Beta back." I hissed.

"Minnesota, a few things happen-" started The Chairman.

"I gave you Co, now give me Beta back!" I shouted. "That was our deal!"

"Yes it was but, something happen-"

"I don't care what happened! I want Beta back! Just like you said you would!" I stomped my foot with frustration like a small child.

"Yes, and I thank you for retrieving Agent Colorado for me, unfortunately, there have been some unforseen circumstances," he explained.

Carolina and Wash were right, they wern't going to give me Beta back, no matter what I did. So I had to do something clever, very clever. Something that I could do to sike them out of something like that. Something that would get me out of here, with Beta.

"Fine," I sighed. "I hate to do this, but I know where Agent Washington is too. But, if you want him back, then you will give me Beta, no excuses, nothing. I want it straight up and I want Beta," I said.

"Agent Washington is dead!" he exclaimed with a laugh. "Impossible!"

I pulled up a helmet log where I was talking to him, back in the desert.

"Where are you going?"

"There are some things I need to do Wash, and that's what I'm doing."

"You can't just stay with us?"

"Wash, it's not you, Okeosla obviously doesn't want me interfering with her plans, so you know what? I'm done, and I'm going off on my own." I made sure to screw up Carolina's name.

"She just left,"

"Figures. Well I'm leaving too. Good luck with... them."

"Can't we talk for a second?"

"Okay, fine. What?"

"Where have you been since, you know, The Project ended?"

"I don't know Wash, I don't know. I do know that I've been asleep in Valhala for a few years though."

"I've been wondering where you've been,"

"Wash"

I ended the log there, not wanting The Councilor to get in depth about Wash and I. He doesn't need to know that kind of personal shit.

"There," I said. "Does that prove to you that he's still alive?"

"I am going to trust you, Agent Minnesota, and I will give you Beta back, but if we don't get a report for you in the next few hours, then we're coming out hunting for you."

"Out hunting?" I smirked. "What an interesting choice of words."

Project Freelancer, Many Years Ago

It was a quiet morning.

The birds outside my window chirped brightly, letting me know about the new day sure to come. I got up and dressed in some destroyed jeans and a bright, neon pink shirt that read: "Geeks unite!" and there were a whole bunch of science fiction references on it. One of my favourite t-shirts.

I skipped to the bathroom and brushed my teeth, then hair, pulling it back into a ponytail. I turned on my TV to the weather network to listen to jazz music while I made myself an omelette.

I put my breakfast to the side and started to pack my lunch. I ate my omelette right after, humming along to the early morning tunes. I checked the clock.