"It's a family heirloom." The Queen smiled as she walked in. Startled, I guiltily tried to hide the jewelry behind my back, before holding it back out towards her with an ashamed look.

She took on a stern expression. "You should respect other's privacy, and not go through my things when I'm not watching."

My head hung down. "I'm sorry." I felt a moment of panic, knowing that such mistakes often led my mother to say terrible things. "I promise I won't make a mistake again! Please don't hate me!"

"Hate you?" The Queen was shocked, pulling me onto her lap, she held me tightly, her voice muffled in my hair. "I could never hate you! Even if we aren't blood related, you're my daughter, forever and ever! Everyone makes mistakes, dear, but I won't hate you for them. We'll learn from them together."

I looked up at her with a smile. "I love you!"

She blinked at my words, her face lighting up. "I love you too, dearest!" Hugging me with one arm, she continued, "Now let me show you..." The Queen held out the necklace closer for me to study.

"This has been handed down in my family for generations. Mother to daughter. One day, when you're old enough, I'll give it to you."

My eyes widened as I studied the beautiful necklace. "Really? You'll give it to me?"

"And that's not all!" Her voice dropped to a conspiratorial whisper. "This is a a very special necklace. My mother told me when she gave it to me, that it protects our family, brings good luck! It can even grant wishes!"

I gasped. "Really? Wishes?!"

She nodded.

"So remember to treasure it, once it's yours."

I hugged her tightly, feeling happy. "I will!"

______________________________

I clutched the sapphire amulet tightly in my hand, laughing silently at the memory. It was just a silly story. After all, the necklace hadn't brought me any good luck in my previous life at all. But still, I felt better after holding it, and emboldened.

I left my rooms, heading towards the main entrance of the home, where the carriage and Hallers waited.

We had decided that I would bring Hallers along. As my butler, he could serve as a witness to the meeting. Rig's identity was unknown to all but a select few, even fewer knew that he worked exclusively for me now. Because of that, he would not be able to come along. I had brought weapons, in case things turned violent, but I couldn't help but feel that it would have been nice to have someone who could watch my back...

But when I arrived to the carriage, to my surprise, Hallers wasn't alone.

"I apologize for the presumption, Miss." The butler bowed, with the faintest hint of a smile tugging at his lips. "But I thought I might help to have someone... more intimidating looking standing behind you, and so I asked Mr. Nathaniel along."

I looked over at Nate, who was staring at me silently with a bright red face.

"Are you okay?" I asked, concerned. He wouldn't be helpful as backup if he was ill.

"I-I'm fine." He stuttered, forcing his gaze upwards to the sky. "T-that's a beautiful dress."

I looked down, caught off guard by Nate's compliment. "Thank you. I thought to present an image of strength and wealth, to intimidate."

"It works... I'm definitely intimidated." He was now speaking so softly I could barely hear him. Hallers patted him on the shoulder with a sympathetic expression.