Twenty Three

Chapter Twenty Three:

Hazel slept for the entire plane ride, and apparently Peter had eventually dozed off because when they awoke to everyone shuffling off the plane, he was drooling onto her head.

He kept apologizing for it until they got off the plane, but Hazel didn't stop like he did to talk to Ned and Betty. Instead she saw Bucky's silhouette on the other side of the glass and ran outside, throwing herself at him.

"Hey." He mumbled, holding her tightly. "I was worried about you."

"I missed you."

"You weren't answering my calls—"

Hazel stepped away, looking up at him. "All my stuff got blown up in London. Cell phone included."

He frowned, "Are those stitches?"

She felt her eyebrow, remembering waking up on Happy's jet with that new addition to her scars. "Maybe."

"Is Parker ok?"

"I think he's good, he took more of the blows than I did. Beck was mostly after him, not me."

"Beck?"

"Mysterio." Hazel said, "The guy on the news."

Bucky only held her tighter, "You scared me. I thought something terrible happened to you."

She pulled away, giving him an odd look. "Are you sure you're ok?"

"What?"

She shook her head, "You don't usually talk this much at once."

He frowned, motioning for them to walk. They did, following a steady crowd that all merged down the sidewalk all looking for their ride.

"I know I haven't been the best father." He glanced at her, a nervous look in his eyes. "And I-I know I may never be, but I'm still working on it. I'm still working on a lot of things, some I may never be able to tell you, Hazel. I just want you to know what no matter what, however I may act or whatever I say or do, that I love you."

Hazel took a deep breath, nodding slowly. A small smile spreading on her face, "I love you too."

They walked all the way to the end of the sidewalk when Peter's voice called her name, causing them both to turn around. Peter stood beside May, who was already getting into a cab.

"Hazel!" He said again, rushing up to her, ignoring Bucky completely. "I forgot to ask—"

"Tomorrow."

"What?"

"Pick me up at one." Hazel grinned, "I'll be at my apartment."

Peter matched her smile, eyes widening when Bucky coughed dramatically.

"Oh! I-is that okay with you Mr Barnes?"

Bucky pursed his lips, glancing down at Hazel before staring at the kid in front of him.

"Am I okay with what, Mr Parker?"

"To ask— to t-take Hazel out on... on a date."

Hazel waited approximately five seconds before waving down a cab and swinging open the door, "He's fine with it!" She shouted, shoving her dad in the front seat.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" Hazel winked at him.

He blinked slowly, "Y-yeah. Yah. See you."

Hazel flopped into the back seat of the cab. She smiled all the way home, and didn't stop even when Bucky teased her about it.