Chapter 18 - Playing Catch

Start from the beginning

"I don't know if Dan is working today," Morgan said while they were collecting their little pink tickets. "If you want, we could drop by the station and find out."

He's not. 

"The police station? Pass."

"Why?"

"Those places give me the creeps. C'mon, let's get a prize." 

Kit avoided looking at him. For all his innocence, Morgan was plenty smart, and he didn't like the searching glance the younger man shot him. 

They walked out and got milkshakes - Rocky Road for Kit and Chocolate Malt for Morgan - and wandered around the chilly town, stopping to look at one of the famous springs. It didn't look like much in Kit's opinion - just an pale orange sandstone well.  

Kit stretched his neck - the bite seemed to be healing as quickly as his other scrapes and bruises, and no longer hurt. Maybe there had been nothing to the rumours Ronan had heard about Alphas and Omegas. He hadn't seemed sure of them, himself. 

This late in the season it was almost frosty. Kit stopped to rub his hands together and tuck them into his sleeves, running a glance over his surroundings in a habit he had picked up while working for Devlin. 

His milkshake hit the ground with a splat. 

Malicious pale eyes met his from only a few feet away and a sour stench wafted into his nostrils. 

Kit turned to run, grabbing Morgan's arm. 

Strong hands grabbed his hoodie and they were both shoved into an alley and against a red brick wall, bouncing off it to land on asphalt littered with trash and broken glass. 

Ilya. Ilya had found him. 

Kit was on his feet in a second but it was no use - click - Ilya had flicked off the safety on his Ruger SR9 and was pressing it into Kit's breastbone. His hand fisted in Kit's shirt and he shoved him further into the alley. 

Morgan sat on the ground, dazed, while Kit tried to will him to run, crawl away, anything - without taking his eyes of the psychopath griping his throat. 

He met Ilya's eyes squarely and growled. 

Ilya backhanded him hard enough to slam his head into the brick wall and split his lip, never moving the gun pressed into his sternum. 

With anyone else Kit would shove it away and fight - but he knew Ilya would pull the trigger, and then shoot Morgan. He wouldn't even blink - and he could get away with it, too. 

He grabbed Kit's chin and pressed his thumb into his split lip. Kit winced. 

"You thought you could get away, huh?" Ilya hissed. "Thought you could walk the streets without a care? Thought he wouldn't be looking?" 

He's right, Kit thought. I was careless. Stupid, stupid. 

Now Morgan was at risk, because of him.  

"For months I've been stuck in these shitty mountains - Now I'm going to kill your little friend as a lesson, and you're going to come back, like a good little pet - " 

Kit couldn't go back. He wouldn't

And I'll die before I let you touch Morgan. 

In that moment it became clear that Dan wasn't the only person who had managed to worm his way into Kit's treacherous heart. 

"Okay," he said softly, casting his eyes down. 

Slowly he stuck his tongue out and licked the thumb pressing into his bleeding bottom lip. Ilya flinched back, but he kept his grip.