17 Safe

Wes Blue

"You will all regret this and you know it."

"Less talking, more walking. Go." Mel sneers at Abraham and his sidekicks, shooing them away with his hand. The three make disgusted expressions, but don't fight us on this.

Not now.

Not when we have their weapon.

Once they're out of our sight, a collective sigh is heard between us. Carter slumps down on a small rock, his head falling between his hands.

"Shit." He mutters, and there's no denying the crack in his voice.

"C, stand up. You should get ready for the plane." Dylan tells him, although he's uncertain even of his own words. Leaving so fast after all of this seems ridiculous.

"Tomorrow morning?" Dave asks and the rest three nod. I pinch the bridge of my nose, a million thoughts running through my mind.

"Let's head back inside." Mel manages to speak.

We're all so calm but there's fire boiling inside of us. The air around us is so cold, almost as if the previous events left a permanent damage to this part of my backyard. I catch Mel's eye, and if I didn't know the cause of his emotions, I'd be deadly scared. My eyes travel down to the item in his hand and I shake my head.

"I'll take that in the back garage." I point towards the gun.

"What about your parents?" Dave asks. I'm worried about that too, but I don't want the boys to leave with another thing to worry about.

"Nobody goes there anyway. I'll get rid of it quickly." I explain and they all nod, although there's hesitancy in their movement.

"Come on. I wanna leave this place." Dylan gestures around himself.

It takes us a while to walk back into the house, complete silence surrounding us. I think we all know there's more to come, but now it's something more than just the talking. Abraham will soon try to intervene with the simplicity of our lives, no matter how far we are from each other. But now, it's a fight we have to fight individually.

"Night." I say to them as they immediately make their way upstairs once we're inside the house.

Everyone already left, and I hope to God Adeen took care of it. I haven't heard from him yet but I made sure to text him to care for the house.

I go into the living room to turn off the speakers and all the little things around the DJ station. The house seems peaceful, despite the rambling from the boys upstairs. But then I notice a faint light on the terrace. I move slightly to see if someone is still out there, and then notice the long waves of the girl I'd rather not be around right now.

The light shines on her hand and my frustration grows when I see what she's holding. It doesn't take me long to cross through the glass sliding door, instantly reaching for the cigarette between her fingers.

"Wes." She breaths, standing up immediately. I turn away from her, throwing the cigarette on the floor and putting out the light with my foot.

"What happened?" She asks, sounding concerned.

Did she wait this entire time? For almost two hours?

"Where is Ellie?" I ask, still not meeting her eyes.

"At my house. Safe." She tries to step towards me. I make a small step backwards, and the pain on her face is visible. "Wes, what happened? Did anyone get hurt?"

I stiffen. Why would she care? This isn't something she should be bothered with. But what I didn't know was that she was involved from the start.

"None of your business." I bluster, stepping sideways so I can walk back into the house. But she steps in front of me, as always going against me. It makes me let out a worn out sigh.