Please Dont Die

"Hello, this is the General Large-Breed Canine Hospital. You were registered as an emergency contact..."

      The message kept repeating in Louis' head while his bus sat in traffic. He closed his eyes and tried to will the honking cars to move. The bus seemed to answer and inched forward.

      "Legosi is fine." He kept telling himself. "He's done this before. He's just a little banged up." On one hand, he was thankful. It was better that he found out now. Rather than a casual mention, weeks later. Still, Louis couldn't help but imagine all the horrible ways Legosi could be dying. Why else would they bring him in, other than to identify a mangled corpse?

      The bus lurched forward, rolling before planting itself again. His nerves pulled his lips into a tight line. The line curved downward into a frown as they passed the source of the traffic: two cars totaled at the side of the road. New grisly images injected themselves into him as he watched the mangled metal disappear behind the bus.

      What would he do in the worst case scenario? Could he handle it alone? He picked up his phone and called a number he hadn't in awhile. A small voice he hadn't heard in a while hushed another familiar one before answering.

      "Louis?"

      "Hey, Haru. Um... Could you meet me at the General Large-Breed Canine Hospital? It's Legosi."

      "What happened?!"

      "I don't know."

      "I'm heading out now."

      Louis put the phone back on his lap and tried to think of happy moments with Legosi. He thought about fetch in the park, Legosi tackling him, but that melted away to all the times he had mistreated Legosi. Called him names. Got him killed.

      Louis squeezed his eyes shut. He wouldn't be seen crying in public. Not in front of these animals. He pulled the cord on the window and got off at the next stop. His phone guided him as he sped through the streets to the hospital.

      Haru ran from the front desk and squeezed Louis around the waist when the sliding doors pulled apart. He put his hand on the dwarf rabbits head as he tried to make an awkward shuffle to the desk.

      "Are you visiting?" The tiger in purple smocks asked.

      "We're here to see Legosi the gray wolf."

      She went to her computer for a moment. "I'm afraid that only family is allowed to visit him at the moment. If you'll wait over there I'll let you know when visiting hours begin."

      "Can you at least tell us what condition he's in?" Haru peaked over the counter.

      "He's stable now."

      "Now?!"

      Louis pulled her to the waiting area before they found out too much. They sat down without a word.

      "This doesn't feel real." She said.

      "Yeah."

      "How are you feeling right now?"

      "I feel like I'm going to kill him." Louis huffed. "I told him not to do this and then he went off and got himself killed."

      Haru put her hand on his.

      "I'm scared." He said , turning to her and hugging her. He had forgotten how nice it was to hug her. She was wearing the perfume he had given her. He caught a whiff of another.