Prologue - "Wei Ying"

"Wei Ying."

The melody stopped, so did one's heart.

This voice. His voice.

Slowly, cautiously Wei Wuxian turned. Afraid this could be one of his many mirages. Wei Ying didn't dare hope, or the figment may scatter before his eyes, but this wasn't one of those times he wishes too hard.

Stood before Wei Wuxian was the man who was more refreshing than the rain of spring. Yet, warmer than fireflies of any summer night. Even those vivid colors of autumn could not compare. After all, his presence...his brilliance was more dazzling than the first breeze of winter snow. But these seasons, do they matter? When the man himself could be a deity reborn upon this mortal world.

Eyes captured, lingered. Held hostage, his breath caught.

Lan Zhan's image. So vibrant, one's heart couldn't help but skip, squeezed. Wei Ying's eyes stung. Burned from the madness of hoping, dreaming, waiting....

One year, six months, one day, and the hour of three. Had he always been counting?

Han Guang Jun, Chief Cultivator, who was responsible for maintaining the peace of the cultivation world, was also Lan Wangji, the most righteous Jade of Gusu Lan Sect. But right now, on this mountain top, away from the gaze of others and apart from the world, the man who stood before him was Lan Zhan. His Lan Zhan.

Finally...he's here.

"Lan Zhan," Wei Wuxian smiled, blinking back tears.

"Did you come across difficulty?" Lan Wangji asked suddenly.

"Uh...difficulty?"

With a concerned expression, Lan Zhan asked, "Are you unwell?"

"I'm as healthy as can be? Han Guang Jun, don't tell me you came all the way here to ask about my well-being?" He smiled at the man who seemed to be rooted in thought, perplexing Wei Wuxian even more by his questions.

But Lan Wangji's silence only confirmed Wei Wuxian's suspicion. It was clear; he was here for him. Wei Ying could no longer hold back his excitement. He closed their distance.

"I'm hungry if you're wondering. Are you going to treat me to dinner?" Wei Wuxian suggested without an ounce of shame, even more so when he teased, "But Lan Zhan, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you have work to do as the Chief Cultivator?"

"I-I...I happened to pass by," Lan Wangji answered unevenly. Not a lie, but almost. His stammer certainly didn't help, nor did the slight squeeze on Bichen. Wei Ying quickly caught his hesitation.

Tilting his head slightly, with his usual mischievous smiles, he observed Lan Wangji's face, Wei Wuxian probed, "Oh? What are the chances for us to cross paths in a remote mountain? This is the first time leaving Gusu for you in over a year, isn't it?"

His eyes widened, his lips quivered, "How...How did you know?"

"Lan Wangji, ah Lan Wangji, you don't really believe that words only travel in one direction, do you? How would it be fair that only you know about my movements?"

Caught in the act, Lan Wangji left those questions unanswered. Wei Wuxian laughed at the ever so steadfast Han Guang Jun now avoiding his gaze. But he wasn't done with his teasing. Not when it felt like an eternity since he had.

"I would never expect his Excellency to have errands to run these days. Don't you have disciples to carry out such tasks? What could have prompted Han Guang Jun to leave the peaceful tranquility of Cloud Recesses?"