Twelve

Doris continued staring at her reflection before something caught her eye. She turned her head quickly to see her student standing in the doorway. She had just seen her Friday yet Day seemed different. Her hair was longer, her eyes brighter and the shape of her face more mature and steady. "What are you doing here Day?"

The girl didn't seem to have an answer she only stared up at the woman, her breathing only increasing. Of course Doris knew her student. She had known her for two years and the girl always melted into a puddle. Her crush was cute, Doris was well aware of it. She tried not think about it too often. It made her feel good to have anyone react that way by just a look but she put it aside. She was a student first.

"You can't do this." Day whispered, her voice was quite, but She wavered with her steps. Holding onto the doorframe to keep herself steady.

"What do you mean?" Picking up her dress and walking towards her student the older woman watched her carefully. Honestly she felt frustrated that she somehow snuck in but she was more curious than anything.

Day couldn't find the words, it was so easy before to help everyone else but when it came to her teacher...she couldn't speak. Her ability to function like a human just disintegrated.

Holding her head and closing her eyes the older woman mumbled underneath her breath.

Day looked down at the ground.

"I'm stuck Day." Doris rubbed her neck and peered out the window that showed cars pulling in to the parking lot. "I'm just stuck."

"Maybe you are rushing." Doris's grandmother put her hand on Day's shoulder and looked down at the young girl. "No need to rush right dear?" they looked at each other for a moment, their eyes studying each other like they had met a lifetime ago.

"I'm 35 grandma. I don't think anything I do in life is rushing anymore."

"Have you ever been in love?"

Doris rolled her eyes, "I'm getting married."

"That's not an answer."

She clenched her jaw and looked over at Day who only stared back at her.

"I'll let you two talk."

Feeling her hand pull away the young girl watched the woman leave until the door was closed and she was alone with her teacher again.

"Please say something."

Day stepped closer to the woman dressed in all white and smiled, "Just wait."

She was surprised to not have something happen to her, nothing fell out of the sky or smacked her in the head. She only felt herself laying down again. Her eyes were closed but she was too afraid to open them as she felt a pain run it's course up her nose to the back of her head.

"Day? Can you hear me?"

Opening the one eye that was willing Day felt her teachers hands help lift her up into a sitting position. "It's you." Pulling her teacher into a hug she held on tightly as she felt arms wrap back around her.

Doris's brows sat all the way down confused but she played along, pulling away slowly.

"What's the date?"

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?" Doris held her hand up and placed it on the girl's forehead. "Do you know where you are?"

"I'm home." Day smiled even though her head pounded. "I'm so happy Mrs.Kennedy."

"Kenndy? I think you have a concussion girly."

Taking her hand off of her head and examining her fingers her heart skipped a beat seeing nothing but a cheap ring on her thumb. "You're not married." She whispered.

"You are really creeping me out Day."

"I usually need an inhaler to even talk to you Doris."

The older woman looked around to make sure no one heard her student call her by her first name and bit her lip to stop herself from smiling. "I've noticed. C'mon I'll drive you to the hospital."

Gritting her teeth Day got up slowly with the help of the woman and fell into her lightly from her lack of balance. She looked up at her teacher, knowing fully well her face probably looked horrible. "I've been in love with you since the day I met you Doris."

Blinking a few times the older woman didn't say anything as she studied her face to see if she was kidding.

"You don't understand how happy I am that you waited."

"Day, You can't be talking like that." Doris helped her over to her car and sat her down in the passenger side. "You are my student. That isn't an appropriate way to be talking."

"You waited though!" Day continued watching the blonde as she reached over her to buckle her seatbelt. "You waited because you knew!"

"Stop It Day!" Doris's face froze dangerously close to the girl's as she searched her eyes. "You are my student."

"What are you trying to say?" Day whispered nervous at the distance between them.

"I'm saying-" realizing her voice was raised the older woman pushed her hair back behind her ear and sighed, "I'm saying call me in five day's."

Letting her eye widen, Day felt the door slam and she smiled to herself as her teacher walked around the car. Looking down at her arm she pinched herself and laughed when she felt the little prick of her nails. "It's real." Feeling the car move as Doris got in the drivers seat and start the car Day bit her bottom lip to conceal her happiness. "Only five days."

*unedited

*unedited.*