06 | helping

0 6

H E L P I N G

"Oh fidgety fuck." I woke up and rubbed my eyes. I looked over at my clock and it read 2:45. My phone had rung and that terrible ringing had broken my sleep. I picked up my phone from the table near my bed and rubbed my eyes again to see who the caller was clearly.

"Luke! Shit!" I rushed to the water jug on my table and drank so that my voice did not have that croaking effect. I then swiped and answered the call.

"Hey Luke." I heard him sobbing from the other end. Terrified on the fact that he was crying, I asked, "Luke? You alright there?"

"Can you come over, Ellie?" It was the first time he called me Ellie and it was sweet. Stop thinking nonsensical cliché things and focus on him, Danielle. I moved that thought away and put his desperate state now as my main focus.

"But Luke, it's nearly three in the morning." I justified.

"Please, Ellie." I could hear him beg whilst sobbing. I don't know how but my heart melted instantly. His 'please' turned me into a puddles.

I sighed, "Alright. Just make sure your door isn't locked."

"It isn't." He whispered through his sobs again.

"Bye Luke. Meet you in few minutes." I farewelled through the phone.

"Thank you, Ellie." I could hear his broken voice before I cut the call. It was as if he was so desperate for someone to go to him and cuddle. I was shocked that I just saw the extreme cool Luke crumble at some fact which seem to be unknown to me.

I went to the washroom and brushed my teeth as quick as possible. While pulling on my jeans and putting on my top, I chewed the mint flavoured chewing gum to get rid of the slight possibility of stench arising from my mouth. I walked out as slow and silent as possible so that I did not wake up my parents. I turned the knob to get out of the house slower than I ever did.

It was the very first time that I have ever woken up at 2:45 for a male and more over, meet him at 3 at that very instant. I looked above and not even the sun has risen. Who would even bother rising at 3? Yeah. Girls that are in love. I then walked into my car and put the car into ignition for few minutes and then set off.

I reached his house by 3:10. I opened the door and entered. His house was too silent with few sobs arising from a room. I walked to the room and saw Luke there on the bed with tears in his eyes. I slowly walked to him.

"Hey Lu-" I couldn't complete my word as I was hugged by him. I was shocked initially but then returned back the friendly gesture.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"Is anyone ever alright?" Luke spoke in a very low tone. He was right. No one was ever alright. Every instance we faced problems, don't we?

"What's wrong?" I asked again. He sat up straight and looked down.

"Everything's wrong." Luke replied with an answer that was even more vague than his before one.

"Hell! Why do you have to make it so frustratingly difficult to get through you, Luke?" I shouted. "You look me in the eyes, young man." He faced me as he looked me in the eyes.

"Now tell me what happened? By the way, are you drunk?" I continued.

He nodded, "I had few pints." He then passed me a letter. I took it from him and opened it carefully. I loved the handwriting of the writer of this letter.

It read,

Dear Lukey,

I know what I am going to do is like my biggest mistake ever. But what do you do with mistakes and flaws? You embrace them. I know mother's going to cry and I know you are going to cry too. I know I'm going to be making a lot of people cry through my death but I'm going to be happy about that because that is a proof that you loved me.