"Arigatou." Both Kenzo and Kaouru bowed with their palms clasped together, Madara nodded in response.

"It looks like it's going to rain tonight. We'll start our investigations tomorrow." Madara's sharingan swirled back to his dark eyes. 
"Ah. I'll get everything set up." Ayumi said, unpacking futons and changes of clothing, with Koniko following behind. "You two could go use a shower." Ayumi looked at the two sad children. Their crying phase had passed over the span of a couple days, now they were just quiet.

Koniko took their hands and accompanied them. 

Ayumi pulled out a pencil and paper and she began drafting a note.

"Oh?" Madara's eyes grew curious. 
"Oh. Yeah. I'm sending a note to rebuild the children's house back in Konoha. So that by the time we return they at least have a place to stay."
Madara stayed silent for a moment, thinking about how considerate she had been towards them. "You're planning to fund it?" Madara sat beside her.
Ayumi nodded. "I have enough saved."

"My falcons are here. They could send it." He offered. 
"Oh? You're into falconry?" Ayumi looked up at him, "You're always surprising me, y'know!"
Madara looked away, not accustomed to such flattery. "It's Uchiha tradition."

"A falconer huh." Ayumi looked outside to the window, "It oddly suits you."
And then for a couple of seconds, they both shared a tender glance, neither of them averting their gaze.

The couple stood outside now in the evening rain, the falcon carrying Ayumi's message in a pouch.

"These birds when found ferrel can be domesticated through continuous disciplined training." Madara explained, the bird's wings flapping intensely. "Certainly faster than any messenger bird offered back in our village."

Ayumi was staring at the Uchiha in awe, she now crossed her arms. 

"Seriously, what else are you good at?" She huffed in annoyance. 
"Just a hobby of mine." Madara briskly replied. 

The bird took its cue from Madara and flew away. 
"So quick!" Ayumi stared at its trail throughout the sky. "He must be really comfortable around you."
"I'd like to think so." Madara placed his hands on his hips. "Anyway, it should reach Konohagakure within the hour."

-

It was the dead of night now, and Madara had been far too distracted in his mind to even think of sleep. He stood outside instead, practicing his kenjutsu, thinking of the two grieving children who were now asleep inside his cottage.

Though not once had he ever experienced the likes of such an inclination, he felt obligated to protect them for her sake. To protect Ayumi's happiness, he told himself. He wouldn't let anything get in the way. And he would slay the shinobi who were responsible.
Madara dug his katana through the soil beneath him, now admiring the moon that had been shining oddly bright. 
Madara frowned. Madara recalled at how adamant he had been to master the Infinite Tsukuyomi genjutsu just a year ago.To think that I would fall for such a jutsu. I ought to be ashamed of myself. I would have wrecked the shinobi world and its entirety. I would have lost her too. The Uchiha thought to himself. He quickly shook his head though. No. No time for pondering now.

"I see you're just like Ayumi." He heard a familiar voice, turning around on his heels.

"Koniko." Madara spoke lowly.
"Ayumi admires the moon at night too. But it looks like its for different reasons." She eyed his katana. Madara looked away, merely uninterested, as if she had interrupted his train of thought.

"Nice sword." Koniko looked at it from a distance. "Tungsten?"

Madara stepped forward, shaking his head. "Carbon steel."
"Good choice. That'll maintain sharper edges over time."

Madara closed his eyes, and then opened them back again to look at the moon. "Are you into swords?"
"Well," She itched the back of her head, "Sorta have to be in order to keep up with Ayumi-hime. And it helps that it's a part of our clan history too." 

"Seems like we must have a lot in common." Madara spoke, "I think you should head back to sleep. It's late and we head out early."

Koniko meekly nodded and left.

-

Moments later Madara followed Koniko to try and get some shut eye, it would help him stay sharp after all. He eyed the empty futon that was placed next to Ayumi who had been knocked out as a log, and the other three who had also been asleep on the other side of the room. He quietly placed his katana next to him, sliding under the covers.
Madara would be burdened with two missions on this trip - to capture the people guilty for the murders, and to get a ring. The Uchiha exhaled, staring at the ceiling, until a slumber took over his eyes.