Chapter 16 / Olivia

DAY THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY NINE

"I was really annoyed that the strongest woman I've ever known gave up. The argument was unnecessary, though. Connor "

This note showed up on my doorstep with a bunch of peace lilies. I knew this was the closest thing to an apology I would ever get from Connor, so I sucked up my pride and wrote a letter to him.

"Dear Connor, The flowers are beautiful. I forgive you for the argument, even though you never asked for an apology. Warm Regards, Olivia Mason-Matthews."

"Sabie!" I called, using Sabrina's least-favorite nickname. She felt it sounded a lot like Sadie, as in sadistic, and, "that is not Sabrina."

"What, mom?" she asked, running down the stairs, exasperated.

"Can you drop this off at the postbox?"

"Ask Atticus!"

"But, I-"

"Atticus! Mom's calling you! Catch ya later, mommy."

"What happened, mom?" a deeper voice joined the conversation, his footsteps echoing as he walked down the stairs.

"Well, since you are the man of the house," she said, making air-quotes, "you have to send a letter to the post office."

"I'll go!" he said, holding his hands over his head before snatching the letter out of my hand, "And, by the way, you're a complete no-no for misogynistic stereotypes. What happened?"

"Don't answer that, it was a rhetoric question," I told Sabrina. "And, Atticus, if you want to leave, please go soon, it will turn dark out."

"On it, mom," he said, and when he left, I turned to Sabrina.

"So, mom, what is it?" she asked, "You've seemed on-edge since yesterday. What's wrong?"

I didn't say anything. How should I convey the warm bundle of emotions in the pit of my stomach? Instead, I simply touched a finger on the glass table.

Frost patterned all over the surface, the intricate designs looking beautiful, a stark contrast to the plain table. Sabrina simply looked at me in horror, and then at the table.

"What happened, after all this time?"

"Connor."

***

"Darling! I heard you got your powers back! How, why, when?" my mother asked.

I groaned. It was just like Bree to call an emergency family meeting, and it was just like my family to use magical transport to get here.

Within five minutes.

My father simply used the pad of his thumb to massage my mom's knuckles and calm her down. "Bree?"

"Yes?" Sabrina and mom said in unison, and I laughed. It was very high-pitched, and slightly awkward, but a laugh nonetheless.

"I meant Bree Senior. Anna," he said, choosing to go with mom's alternative nickname, like he always did when both Brees were in the room. "You are asking the wrong questions. What you need to ask is, which boy was it?"

"Yeah, honey, I want to know that, too," said Aunt Kat, speaking for the first time since she came. I never really got the hang of calling her Khione. The name tasted foreign on my tongue, and I never felt like using it. She was Aunt Kat to me, and Great-Aunt Kat to the kids.

"He goes by the name Connor," said Bree in a gossipy tone, and I groaned once more. What was it with Sabrina and gossip? 

"WHAT?!" Aunt Kat screamed. "This is not happening! Connor Abernathy?! Are you insane?!"

At the same time, my mom said, "Connor? As in, Connor Abernathy?! That idiot?! Sweetheart, you can do better than that!"

"SHUT UP!" Sabrina screamed, without inflection.

"Ladies, please, calm down," said Atticus to Sabrina, mom, and Aunt Kat, "Grandpa, why don't you speak? Don't you have something to say?"

"I have no clue why these guys hate Connor so much, but honey, I just want you to be happy."

"Me, too," said mom.

"Yeah, us too," said Sabrina, speaking for herself and Att.

"I want you to be happy, sweetie, but you also need to know the facts of the matter. Connor is an idiot," Aunt Kat said. "You have so many better guys in the world. Why him?"

"Aunt Kat, I agree with you completely. Why him? What is it about him that rekindled my powers, after so many years? With all due respect, I'm going to ignore this argument and try and figure out more about the guy," I said, my tone ringing with finality. "Have a good day, guys."

"Hey, wait! He could hurt you, Via. You can't do that to yourself," said mom, stopping me.

"How do you know he isn't a blessing in disguise?" I rationalized.

"How do you know he is?" she retorted.

"Mom, please, just go," said Atticus, "Grandma, Grandpa, Great-Auntie, let's go for a walk. Bree, are you coming?"

"Yes! Mom, have a bubble bath. We'll come soon, okay?"

"Okay, love," I said, embracing her and Atticus and giving them a kiss on their forehead apiece. "I love you two, so much. Remember that, okay?"

"Don't worry, mom, we won't forget," said Sabrina, rolling her eyes but smiling in a way that signaled she actually loved the show of affection.

The shrill tone of my phone rang through the room, and I went to pick it up as Bree and Att diffused the tension by taking my closest family for a walk. Att winked at me, holding up my phone, and showing me the number, which was saved as, 'C Abernathy (Math Class #Enigma).'

To do list (one task) : change the way Connor's number is saved.

He picked it up and said, "Oh, hi Connor," in a mock-kind voice, but Connor couldn't possibly tell that it was faked. "Yes, mom is there. I'll give the phone to her."

"Hi Connor," I said, gritting my teeth, "What do you want?"

"I want to meet up ASAP," he said, in his deep, masculine voice, "Which means as soon as possible, by the way."

"I know what ASAP means," I snapped, "Continue."

"I need to meet you because I've just gained some powerful intel on your husband. Intel is short for intelligence, by the way."

"I know what intel means! Continue!"

"Don't I love to push your buttons," he said, laughing, his laugh short and deep. "Meet me at Marina Square by 2200 hours. 2200 hours means-"

"Ten at night! I know!" I said, exasperated.

"See ya there, hon. Without your family, please. They are a baggage I don't-"

"Shut your trap! I'll see you there!"