Chapter 11 / Atlas

DAY SEVEN

I knocked on the blue door labeled, 'Penguin Suite,' and opened the door when no grunt of dissent came from inside (no grunt of assent came either, but I really wanted to go in). But, what I saw inside shook me to the core.

Olivia, the toughest woman I know, was hunched on the bed, clutching her phone, her shoulders heaving and a light sniffling sound emanating from her.

Her black hair, looking messier than usual, was concealing her face, and I was sure her green eyes were far from sparkling. The sight made me want to run away and drew me in at the same time.

She doesn't cry because she's weak, she cries because she's been strong for too long.

My mom often uttered those words, replacing the she with a he when applicable. Aunt Petunia said something similar when Acacia cracked and yelled at me, although she never really had cancer, it was just an act.

I knew that she didn't want me to see her like this, but I couldn't turn away now. The phone slid from her grasp and onto the carpeted floor but she didn't realise it. As she sobbed, I picked the phone up.

It was like deja vu to when she was comforting me back when I thought Acacia actually had cancer. I wasn't trying to comfort her, because I knew better than anyone it was better she had her space. I merely unlocked her phone (yes, I knew her password; I can spy too!) and looked at the last thing she was looking at before she switched the phone off.

9:14 am

Akantha: You should stop now, before it's too late.

Akantha: Neva is already on my side, and I'm warming up to one in your close circle.

Akantha: Do you want your loved ones to die?

Akantha: Khione

Akantha: Brianna

Akantha: Nathaniel

Akantha: Atlas

Akantha: Your unborn children.

Akantha: If you don't surrender, I'm going for your children first thing.

Akantha: What will Atlas think if he finds out you had a hand in killing his twins?

Akantha: I'm waiting for your answer, Via...

"Via," I said, clutching my chest to steady my heartbeat and sitting next to her.

"I... I..." she struggled to begin, pulling her hair in a ponytail and dabbing her fingers under her eyelids, putting on her tough-girl cover as quickly as any seasoned spy does.

"Spill. Now," I commanded forcefully, although I clutched her hand tightly, hoping that what Acacia said was not true.

"You see," she began, in a weak voice, "In this magical world, proposing to someone means you asking them for their hand in marriage. The moment the woman puts the ring on, they're wedded."

Her voice was getting stronger as she continued, "You and I, therefore, are legally married. After marriage, every goddess is bestowed with a child. Not in the usual way, but they're actually given an infant. We're going to be parents soon, Atlas. Of two kids."

"And, that's not the only thing that has got you worried, is it? Ac- Akantha has something to do with it," I said, trying to comfort her through my own grief. They were my children, too, after all.

"She's going to go to the House of Hera and murder them, Atlas," she said, her eyes filling with tears and her face blotched with pink, "My children and your children. And, it's not even their fault!"

"Via, listen to me," I said, gently, "She's trying to mess with your mind, and it's working. Calm down. You'll be in no frame of mind to help our little darlings if you're sobbing."

She breathed in deeply, and breathed out, her eyes shut.

"I'm okay," she said, more to herself than to me, "I'm okay, and my kids are going to be okay."

"Now, who lives in the House of Hera?" I asked, slowly but surely.

"Hera and Artemis," she replied, in her element while she focused on solid facts and not the emotional implications.

"Will they be able to protect them for long?" I asked, "Not just our kids, but the others, too."

She locked her green eyes in mine and looked serious when she said, "I don't know," and for the first time, I believed those three words.

"They'll be okay, Via," I said, rubbing her back, "they'll be okay."

10:37 am

Akantha: The million dollar question; will they be?

"She's here," I said, my blood running cold.

"Not for long," said Via, putting on her serious face and forming an icicle, "She deserves hell."

"Very true," I said my body catching a bluish fire for the first time. My anger was uneclipsed, and Acacia better watch out, because the husband-wife duo was coming at her.

"Whoa," said Via encouragingly, looking at my body with flames licking it, "Akantha better run for it."

"She better," I agreed, as we heard a low chuckle from the door.

A pristine and overly red Acacia presented herself, her blonde hair kissing her shoulders. She had flames in her hands, but unlike mine they were blood-red.

"You both look so cute," she said, scrunching her nose in mock admiration.

"Nice of you to make an appearance," said Via, choosing to ignore the previous statement but punctuating her words in a way that totally contradicted her message.

"Oh, love," said Acacia, laughing, "I just came to kill you so that my brother will lose everyone he loves."

"Cee, you don't have to do this," I reasoned.

"Oh, but I do," she replied, "Presenting, the, 'Invincible Destroyer,'" she continued, holding a small pistol-like thing made of ice to Via's face.

"Water," muttered Via, reminding me of a conversation we had had about this very machine.

She shot the icicle and I melted it, the pistol filling up with water, and something happened.

Our plan didn't work, and Acacia pressed the trigger.