Chapter 7

"I didn't know what fillings you'd feel like," Alex said, the nurse holding the door open for her as she entered Lena's room with her hands full. "So, I got you three. Figured you'd eat them all anyway."

"Breakfast!" Kara grinned, jumping off the seat beside Lena's bed to help Alex. Kara had had a good eight hours sleep on the couch in Lena's room, leaving the sunlamp on and only turning it off when the natural sun rose at dawn. Lena had slept well over night, and was much more coherent when she'd woken.

"All yours," Alex said, handing Kara a brown paper bag. "Sorry if the bottle of juice squashed any of the bagels."

"They'll look more squashed once I eat them," Kara grinned.

"Oh good, you've got your painful levels optimism and generally overly cheerful hopefulness back," Alex teased, putting her coffee down on the table and an overnight bag on the floor. "Hope I got what you wanted," she said to Lena.

"Whatever's there will be fine," Lena said, grateful that Alex had picked her up some supplies. If she was going to be in hospital for at least another week, she wanted some of her own things.

"Also, I have no breakfast for you, because you're on a strict diet of hospital food for the moment."

"That's ok," Lena said, not feeling like eating anyway.

"Good too see you looking like you intend to stay in the land of the living though," Alex said.

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"I mean," Alex smirked, "You look appalling, but you look less like death than you did yesterday."

"Alex, be nice," Kara said, between mouthfuls of bagel.

"I'm super nice," Alex said. "I got you that lamp. I got you a pair of glasses. They're in the bag here, somewhere," she said, bobbing down and rummaging through the bag. "But you have to go home later and shower and change. I want my clothes back. Oh, and L-Corp was definitely hacked."

"You didn't think to open with that?" Kara asked.

"I was distracted by the food," Alex said. "Anyway, whoever it was knew the systems, and how to cover their tracks. We're trying to trace the source, but they were very good."

"I suppose that's a relief," Lena said. "At least it's an outsider."

"I guess so. Glasses," Alex said, tossing the glasses over Lena's bed. Kara caught them in one hand, half-eaten bagel in the other.

"I don't know how I never saw it..." Lena said, watching Kara as she put the glasses on.

"You were just - overcome by my general radiance and perfection," Kara said, flipping her hair, and not knowing she had cream cheese on the side of her face. Lena chuckled.

Alex looked askance. "Well, you two seem to have kissed and made up," she mumbled, sipping her coffee.

"What?" Kara exclaimed.

"It's just an expression, Kara," Alex said, "Unless there's something else you want to tell me."

Kara blushed and tried to look sternly at Alex.

Alex winked. "Takes one to recognise one," she said.

"I stopped listening for one moment and now I've lost what this conversation is about," Lena said, looking between the sisters.

"Don't worry," Kara said, taking the second bagel out of the bag, "Alex has lost the ability to mind her own business."

Alex laughed. "This is definitely my business. Well, you know where to find me when you want to talk."