Chapter 3

For a moment there was silence and darkness before the room erupted with gunfire.

Lena crashed heavily to the floor, pain surging through her body, though she was unable to pin-point the source. Bullets ricocheted around the room, and though Lena could hear people yelling and screaming, she couldn't tell if any were Kara. Lena lay curled up on the floor, making herself as small as possible and covered her head as best she could, closing her eyes and waiting for it all to end.

...

The light went out the moment the bullet from the gun in Lena's hand hit it, and shards of the shattered plastic casing rained down. Kara knew she only had seconds, if that, before all hell broke loose. Despite the pain in her wrists and ankles from the Kryptonite-laced ropes, she threw herself to the floor, which allowed her to pull her feet free from the chair.

Gunfire started, bullets rebounding off the walls and floor of the small room, and Kara could only cry out as she watched Lena collapse to the ground.

I believe in Supergirl.

Kara yelled and tore free of the ropes binding her wrists. The gunfire stopped as their four captives lay dead, having accidentally taken each other out, assuming that Lena was still part of the fight. But Lena had only fired one shot. Kara crawled across the ground towards her, feeling weak and lightheaded from the Kryptonite poisoning. She'd been tied up for a a couple of hours before Lena had been brought in, allowing the poison plenty of time to enter her system.

"Lena?" Kara asked, leaning over Lena's body. She gently placed her hand on Lena's shoulder. "It's ok now. We can - I - " Kara struggled for words as she noticed how much blood was on Lena. Kara lent down and snapped the handcuffs off Lena's wrists. "Lena? Lena? Are you conscious? I can hear your heartbeat. You sound shocked. You - you don't sound well. Umm, I'd say open your eyes, but there's not much to see. Umm, Lena? We need to get out of here, ok?"

Kara forced herself to sit up properly. There was a narrow line of light coming in from under the door. Kara took a deep breath and used her heat vision to blast the door open. The light from the hallway filled the small room. Kara tried not to look at the bodies and the blood spatter and focus on Lena.

"Time to go," Kara said, but her head spun as she moved and she was only just able to stop herself from falling on top of Lena. Kara looked around the room, and saw the mangled Kryptonite bullets scattered about. She was too close to them to begin healing, but she could hear Lena's heart rate dropping as the adrenaline wore off and the blood loss continued. Kara steadied herself, scooped Lena up, and flew out of the room, down the hallway and out of the service door into the empty underground carpark.

Lena moaned, her blouse and skirt soaked in blood that Kara couldn't tell the origin of.

"I know it hurts," Kara said, stopping and lying Lena down as gently as she could. Kara sat down beside her. Looking at Lena in the cold, fluorescent light made Kara want to cry. Her own body ached, she was close to powerless, neither of them had phones on them, and Lena was slowly bleeding out.

"What do I do, Lena?" Kara asked, unable to think straight. It would be so easy just to stop, to curl up beside Lena and wait for someone to find them.

Lena moaned again, her eyes screwed up in pain.

"Good idea," Kara mumbled, as much to herself as to Lena. Saving Lena came first. She had to put her own pain aside and use whatever power she had left to get Lena to hospital. Kara braced herself and scooped up Lena, who gave a short cry of pain. Kara took a few wobbly steps, then flew as fast as her body would allow her out of the underground carpark and into the dark city streets. It took seconds to get her bearings, but they were seconds Lena didn't have.