━━ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐘𝐖𝐎𝐆 - 𝐏𝟏 ━━

A/N: Long chapter ahead. Idk it's been a while since I've written so it might seem longer to me. The reason I've been gone, if you haven't heard already is I've been depressed, but I assure you, it's nothing life threatening, just something I'm working through and I appreciate you guys waiting for me. I'm not over it yet, no one really gets over it magically, but just being able to sit down and find the inspiration to write again is a huge step and I'm just as excited as you are that this is happening. Anyways I'll let you get to reading!

||𝟑𝐑𝐃 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐏𝐎𝐕||

With timid steps, Dustin crept into his living room, hoping not to draw any attention to himself or the creature he just captured. He closed the front door quietly and began making his way towards his bedroom. His heart leapt up to his throat when he heard the sound of his mother.

"Dusty!"

He froze in place and plastered on a smile, turning to his mother who came up anxiously to greet him home.

"Dusty, what happened? What was that?"

Dustin's mouth ran dry. How could she possibly know already? She couldn't, could she? Dustin tried his best to brush it off.

"W-hat? What, what was what?"

Mrs. Henderson frowned, tilting her head and gesturing down the hall.

"Your poor sister. She came in crying, and she won't answer me. Won't even say a word, now what happened tonight Dusty?"

"Oh, that, yeah, um, she uh..." he looked down at the homemade ghost box he had in his hands and felt anxiety creeping up. "Well you know, boy drama I guess,"

Dustin immediately felt a pang of guilt for that remark but he was beginning to panic. He could feel the creature begin to shift around in the box and he knew his mom would keep asking questions if he didn't cut straight to the chase.

"Well, what happened? Is there another girl?" She asked sadly.

"What?" Dustin asked dumbfounded. "No! Well, I mean, technically yes, but she has nothing to do with-"

"Did he reject her?"

"No! Mom!"

Dustin began shifting on his feet, getting increasingly more uncomfortable, and it was impossible to tell if it was from the conversation or the fact he was hiding a secret, unidentified species in the prop of his Halloween costume.

"Dusty? Are you okay? You're acting weird."

"I'm not acting weird!"

Without warning, the ghost box in his hand shook, making several audible thuds. Mrs. Henderson jumped back, letting out a small yelp in fear.

"Woah!" Dustin burst out into a fit of uncontrollable and nervous laughter as he looked from the trap to his mother.

Mews, who had been standing at Mrs. Henderson's feet, hissed harshly at the box.

"Awesome, right? Yeah... I-I rigged the trap with, uh, a motor to make it look like I caught a ghost. Just like the movie."