twenty eight

"I don't know. The pink one," I suggest, Amelia looking over the millions of dresses she owns to choose the best one for her date tonight. It's Jackson who she's seeing, and I'm fearful of being anywhere around him with Harry so far away. He's been at the office in New York for nearly two weeks now. I've had many nightly phone calls with him simply to hear his voice. I'm calling him in the morning so he's not staying up so late. I'd rather it be me to sacrifice my sleep.

"Rhiannon, take this seriously please," she remarks and I sit up from my slouched position in her chair.

"The blue ones will make your eyes pop and the pink ones will make your skin look tan," I tell her and she looks over herself in the mirror again. The brown in her eyes has a little green in them and blue makes it come out. I can tell she's torn between the dresses.

"I'm in for the pink one. I want to look tan against his beautiful skin," she says, and I hold back when the urge to roll my eyes comes around. He's interracial with naturally darker skin while she's plastered in so much fake tan she's damn near orange. I'm trying really hard to not be critical.

"Will you please go fetch my make-up bag from the front room. I haven't unpacked yet," she says and I'm on my feet in seconds. She's just moved to live in the penthouse of her old apartment building. I know our father bought it for her, but I'm not even remotely jealous. This place is too big for one person; my place is perfect for me.

The only thing my father helps me out on is rent. He pays for it, but that's all I've ever gotten from him. That was his deal with me when I had turned 18. Since he paid child support to my mother, essentially to keep her mouth shut, he didn't know what to do when I had to move in with him. When I turned eighteen, the only thing I agreed to take from him was rent money. I have it nothing like Amelia, who receives cars, an allowance considering she hasn't worked a day in her life, as well as every necessity needed to live. She has all this and I still feel sorry for her; she hasn't experience the realness of life nor will she ever. She's in a fantasy and in my books, that's a sad life to live because every bit of reality is a slap in the face. It never gets easier in her world.

The doorbell rings while I'm in the front and Amelia shouts for me to get it. Once I drop her makeup bag off, I answer the door and look up. Bright blue eyes meet mine and I force a soft smile.

"Hi Jackson," I say, and he looks surprised to see me.

"Rhiannon, always a pleasure. Except I'm looking for Amelia," he says, a smirk playing on his lips. I'm nervous if he knows I'm her sister, but I also despise how he's looking at me right now.

"She's finishing getting ready," I tell him, and he nods. I allow him to walk in and he does so, leaning against the counter of the kitchen once in.

"So, I didn't realize you were so close with Amelia. How long have you two known each other?" he wonders, and I look up at him. So, he doesn't know; or maybe he's playing a game?

"Since diapers, really," I tell him, not lying at all. He nods, looking me over.

"How's Styles?" he asks, my eyes meeting his. I don't feel comfortable at all. I'm bothered, actually.

"He's doing well. Working in New York right now," I share, and he bites his lower lip. Then he walks closer to me and grabs my shoulder, the action causing me to freeze. He slowly slides his hand to the crook of my neck and I do everything I can not to make noise. Amelia can't hear because she'll accuse me of whatever wrong is about to occur.

"Then I might have to snatch you for the night," he whispers, and I push him away. I push him so hard I cause him to slam against the counter.

"You are disgusting and I hope you know he will find you. He will do exactly what he did to you last time," I say, and he just smiles. His smile is replicates a devilish action. It scares me.