Ch 4

Organic chemistry was getting tough. As Dr. Ito took questions on our weekend assignment about structure and bonding, I realized I misunderstood a whole section in the textbook. The professor had a relaxed demeanor, but I'd heard from others that this class would kick our asses. Dr. Ito reminded everyone of his office hours and encouraged us to find a study buddy for the quiz on Friday.

"I mentioned this on the first day," he began.

He did? I felt panicky and actually shot Rowan a brief glare. If he hadn't been staring at my tattoo so much, Dr. Ito's warnings would have sunk in sooner! Thankfully, Rowan interpreted my narrowed eyes as irritation with the course.

Dr. Ito continued. "Your success in organic chem will determine your career path. If you intend to go into medicine, you need to do well. There's just no getting around it. Fact of life. So get a friend and make some flashcards or whatever floats your boat. Ask lots of questions. Don't be afraid to admit you don't understand. If the homework gave you a rough ride, get with a friend who can help you through the arrow pushing."

Rowan leaned close to me. "Hey, wanna be my friend?"

I giggled and bobbed my head close to his. I felt a light buzz as I drew near, and I noticed the subtle way his eyes flickered to my lips. "Only if you can help me with this arrow pushing madness!" I hissed back.

"You got it!" He gave me a double thumbs up.

After a mind-numbing class, Rowan and I maintained our usual ritual of visiting the cafe in the academic building. There was a coziness being near him. If the spark of attraction we seemed to feel for one another ever exploded into a wildfire of passion, I was becoming convinced that the companionable comfort would remain after the fire inevitably calmed.

"That class is a beast," I whined. "I don't want to go into medicine! I just want to study plants!"

"Aw. You'll be fine." Rowan promised. "I think I actually did pretty well on that homework, so if you're serious about wanting a study buddy, I'm game." His hazel eyes were earnest.

I smiled up at him. "That would be great."

He beamed then looked away shyly. "We could meet at the library this week, if you want."

"I'd like that."

He bounced on his toes beside me as we waited in line for our drinks. His hair fluttered with each downward movement. When he caught me staring, he slumped into himself, cheeks pink.

"What?" he asked.

I shook my head. "Nothing, just amused at how happy you seem about studying organic chem with me."

Rowan seemed to be testing out a response in his head, but it was my turn to order. I first requested an English breakfast tea for me.

"Anything else?" the woman at the cash register asked.

I turned to Rowan. "What are you getting?"

"Huh?" He blinked at me.

"I'm treating you. Think of it as an advance for help studying."

"You don't ha-"

I reached out and touched his upper arm, lightly squeezing the warmth I found. "Please."

He looked at my hand and sighed. "Okay. But I'm treating next time. I'll have a dark roast. Medium please."

I giggled triumphantly as we moved down to receive our beverages and personalize them with creams and sugars. Rowan was grinning to himself. I thought of reaching out to touch him again, perhaps brush my fingers against his, but worried it was too presumptuous. He appeared to be interested, but I didn't want to act on assumption alone. I was grateful for the opportunity to study together at the library, a neutral space with no room for hastily crossing boundaries.