Chapter 24

I stumbled with rushed pace inside my mansion, desperate to find Carlo. Little Alba was crying in my arms while I tried to unconvincingly soothe her by telling her that everything will be all right. Tears streamed down my eyes as panic gripped my heart. I felt myself falling with the memories of my dying parents in front of me. Will I lose another parent?

No, I needed to find Carlo he can...

"Bambina?"

I heard Carlo's voice coming from the garden. I almost stumbled over as I rushed towards the sound of his voice. His face set of a storm of emotions.

"Madre!" Tramonto cried out in distress and rushed toward me when he saw me crying. I fell onto my knees to embrace him while watching Carlo approach with my tear-drenched eyes.

"They took him!" I sniveled.

"Whom took who?" Carlo said with a placid voice but his eyes were alert.

"The Magistrates! They took Alessandro," I replied after furiously pushing back the lump in my throat.

"What, When? Why?"

"A while ago, he has been accused of treason," I replied with a trembling voice which was beyond my control.

"Treason..." Carlo watched the hall like he was considering following them.

"Carlo?"

"Calm down, bambina. The Sovereign would have to have strong evidence to actually do anything to Alessandro. He is-"

"Signor Da Nord said that they had a witness with evidence!" I exclaimed ruefully and became more distressed when I saw Carlo grow rigid.

"What evidence?"

"I don't know, but Lucretzia came to me a while ago. She demanded that I taught her Coronalux otherwise she would end Alessandro. I didn't give her the technique!" I sniffed dismally and Carlo petted my head.

"You did the right thing, bambina. That technique must never fall into her hands. If you had taught her the technique you would have been killed my our own clan," Carlo hushed with a kind expression in his eyes.

"Alessandro must have a plan. He always has a plan," he muttered, but it sounded more like he was trying to convince himself.

I shook my head while forcing the sound out of my throat which ached from the crying. "He told me to tell you!"

"Tell me what?"

"That he was sorry!"

Carlo's eyes darted towards the hall again and slowly seems he realize something. His eyes glowed with the light of the sun. He turned towards Charon who had come to see what all the ruckus is about.

"Take care of the children. Make sure that no one enters, no Anarchist, no human and certainly no one from the Sovereignty!" he hissed and Charon nodded solemnly and took Alba and Tramonto who made a fuss but went silence when Carlo looked them in the eyes.

"Protect our home from intruders!"

The two children nodded with a determined look on their small faces. Carlo rose to walk away but I grabbed onto him.

"I'm coming with you!"

"You are still weak."

"I will not lose another parent!" I replied, refusing to budge.

Carlo sigh in defeat and lifted me up into his arms before rushing off. We soon arrived at the automobile and he told the driver to take us to Le Nuove. I looked at Carlo with Surprise.