Prologue

[tony was born in 1970 and lily and james in 1972, having hadley in 1992.]

When lily and james potter found out that james was unable to have children, they went to lily's best friend for help. Tony stark and lily evans had met when they were five and seven and had then immediately proclaimed them to be each others 'bestest friend forever'. That promise rang true even fifteen years later.

So when tony stark answered his door to find his best friend and her soulmate asking for his help he agreed. To anyone else, having your best friend AND her husband begging you to have a child with her would be a bizarre and awkward thing to deal with. But tony was willing to do that for lily.

So lily, tony and james went over what this would entail. It was decided they'd write a list of rules and the like to follow. The list said as follows:

- tony will have the baby every other holiday.
‐ the three parents would hang out together on her/his birthdays.
- he/she would know both men as her dads.
- only the most absolutely trusted friends of the parents would know the truth of the baby's heritage.
- the parents must be informed when a fellow parent want to introduce the baby to anyone new.
‐ if anything were to happen to one [two] of the parents other parent would be granted guardianship of the baby.

And so it was agreed upon and lily and tony created a baby to co-parent together.
_____

When the baby was born the potters and stark agreed on their daughter's name together. They decided that hadley noelle potter-stark would be known to the wizarding world as hadley potter. The only people to know of Hadley's true father were those closest to the couple.

Sirius black, remus lupin, Minerva mcgonagall, alice longbottom, Marlene McKinnon, and their muggle friends; the grangers. Jane and Michael granger lived a few blocks away from lily and james and had a daughter who was a few months older than hadley. The girls were already close friends.

When Hermione's soulmark had developed, as per usual, when she was nine months old the grangers and potters suspicions of hermione being a witch were solidified. When Hadley's soulmarks appeared her parents were worried.

While they were surprised to see the girl had two soulmates, they weren't opposed to it. Tony himself had two as well, though he hadn't met them yet. They were more curious about the context of the words that would be spoken. One stated "woah! you're a total badass!" And the other said "shit! You're dad's gonna kill me!"

Lily honestly found it funny that those would be what her daughter FIRST heard from her soulmates. The guys didnt agree. Regardless of that, life was pretty tame and nice the first year. Tony visited as much as possible and hadley grew to be a happy, healthy, magical 1 year old.

On Halloween night, 3 months after Hadley's 1st birthday, tony was stuck in Malibu for work conferences. It was after Hadley's phone call with tony to say goodnight, that lily and james heard a sound outside. Almost as if someone was forcing themself through the wards surrounding the house.

James handed hadley to lily and pushed them upstairs, intending to stay behind and give his girls time to escape. Lily had closed and locked the door to Hadley's nursery when she heard the thump of something hitting the ground, saw the flash of green light that meant one thing.

She fought back tears as she carefully put her baby girl in her cradle, softly murmuring "dada loves you, mama loves you, you are so so loved." She let the tears finally fall as the door was thrown off its hinges. She turned around and fought to her last breath protecting her daughter.

When her killer stepped closer to kill her child, her kid defied all odds and survived. Hadley potter-stark survived. Voldemort disappeared and she lived. When sirius black found her crying her heart out in her crib, he cradled her close to him trying to soothe her while he mourned the loss of his best friends.

When a half-giant named hagrid tried to take hadley, claiming that he was told by Dumbledore to bring the girl to lily's sister, sirius glared at him and grabbed the diaper bag, slinging it over his shoulder and aparrated to tony's place. Once he made sure his goddaughter was safe, he left.

He had a rat to find.