Part 1: Changes

A year later

A lot can happen in a year.

A lot can change.

My feet ached from a long day running around the hospital. I got home and immediately took off my uniform and dipped my toes into the warm water.

I laid in the tub, peacefully letting my body soak in the water. My bones released themselves and immediately I felt myself relax.

"Emma?" Marissa's voice travels through the door. "Can I come in?"

The bubbles surrounding my body covered me enough to not see anything and I opened up the curtain to see Marissa walking in with Maddy on her arms.

"Hey, my little angel." I give Maddy a wet kiss and watch as Marissa sits on the floor next to the tub.

"Where's Hunter?" I asked her, leaning my head against the side of the bath.

"Working," She tells me. "He had an early shift today. Did you just get off of work?"

I nod, groaning as I wiggle my toes. "I've been working since six last night."

"That's insane, Em." She sighs.

"Worth it, though." I shrug.

"And Jax?" She bounces Maddy in her arms as she plays with her phone, putting it in her mouth and drooling all over it.

"What about him?" I shrug.

"How is he doing?"

"He's sleeping." I simply say.

"I asked how he's doing not what's he's doing."

I lay back in the tub and let my hair get wet in the water. "I don't know. He's good."

"Emma."

"He's better."

"Emma." She sternly says.

"What do you want me to say, Marissa?" I shake my head.

"Is he still...you know." She trails off.

I sigh. "I don't know what to tell you. What do you want to know? That he's a mess? Because we all pretty much covered that. I don't even know why you care, especially after what happened with Maddy and Gavin."

"Emma." She moves her hand and reaches out for me.

"Don't do that." I shake my head. "Don't feel sorry for me. I've learned to deal with it, trust me. I have it under control."

"You sound like him."

I roll my eyes. "I'm going to get out now. Just wait for me in my room."

I sat on my bed with Maddy and Marissa as we talked about the events that occurred throughout these past two months.

I didn't know exactly what triggered it but I knew Jax was different. His vibe was off, he was distant not only with me but with everyone who tried reaching out.

His own son didn't recognize him.

"And Gavin?" Marissa asks.

"Sleeping." I play with my nails.

"No, I mean what are you going to do with him? You can't leave him alone here with Jax when all he does is sleep and get drunk." She explains.

"I know. He's in daycare for the time being." I sigh. "What else am I supposed to do? My dad is in Boston, I work crazy hours to keep a roof over us, Hunter has a job he can't afford to lose and you have enough on your plate."

"You know you can always leave Gavin with me when you work." She caresses Maddy. "Being a stay at home mom has its perks."

"I can't ask you to do that." I shake my head.

"You aren't asking. I'm offering. Don't worry, you have too much to worry about. Let me help."

"I-"

"Mommy." Gavin appears at my doorway rubbing his eyes.

"Hey, buddy." Marissa waves.

He mumbles a hello and climbs on my bed, laying his head on my lap. "Where's daddy?" He yawns.

"He's in the living room." I reply. He was about to jump off the bed when I grabbed him and pulled him to my chest. "He's sleeping, let him rest."

"He's always sleeping."

I look up at Marissa to see her pressing her lips together. "I know, just let him rest."

When Marissa left, I was once again left with the silence of my house.

The only sounds heard were the creeks of the floor moving as wind passes, the sound of Gavin's tablet echoing against the walls, the way the ice would fall in the freezer and it came crashing down.

My mind was frozen as I stared down at Jax's sleeping body. It was like this every day. I would come home from a long day at the hospital and would find Jax either sleeping or watching TV drunk off his mind with Gavin next to him.

I tried finding an explanation everyday, trying to reason with myself and battling my mind.

I had the same question everyone else was too afraid to ask.

What started this?

Im having trouble letting go of this book. lol as you just read this is a preview of what is to come. I guess this book is really all I know how to write. This sequel will only be a few chapters long. Keep a look out I'll post a message make sure to follow me to stay tuned and also read Until I Met Him it's a new book I started. Thankss