Epilogue

"And you know you give me, so take it easy!" I sang the final lyrics of the song into the microphone, the crowd cheering. I took a sip of water and smiled over at my family, who were backstage, cheering me in along with the rest of the Chicago fan base.
"Go on, baby." I heard my husband yell from backstage, making me laugh.
"I just want to say that the past ten years have been the best years of my life. This night, exactly ten years ago, from this exact spot, I was kidnapped. As I'm sure many of you who were there can remember." I began. The crowd were all silent, as many of them had been there that day and witnessed the shooting and the events that unfollowed. "But I was saved. Saved by the man that I am now lucky to call my husband and the father of my children. The man who has held my hand through so much shit and the man who I would take a bullet for any day." I ran over to where Jay was and dragged him onstage with me, our three kids followed behind. Everyone cheered when they saw my family. My face was gleaming. "Jay Halstead," I turned back to the crowd, "Harper Halstead," I addressed to our eldest son, who looked exactly like his father, "Taylor Halstead," I smiled down at my only girl, her light brown hair flowing past her shoulders, "and Luka Halstead," I addressed, finally, my youngest child, his hair curly and shoulder length, "I love you all so much. Chicago, I fucking love you. Life, I love you."
We played the last songs of our set and waved the crowd out before we ran off-stage and I embraced my family in a massive hug. Jay kissed my head and wrapped his arm around me and our kids, us all together.
"I love you, mummy." My seven year old smiled, showing her missing tooth. I ran my hand through her soft hair, my eyes saying it back.
"I love you all, so much. I love my boys and my girls." Jay smiled, our youngest in his arm as it was quite late for a five year old- in fact it was way past even our nine year-old's bedtime. "I'm so proud of you, honey." Jay smiled as we all walked back to the trailer, so that I could change and go home.
    We always ended our tours in Chicago as me, Ryan and Luke all lived in Illinois and Jamie lived in NYC so it was only an hour flight for him. Jake was the only one who lived in the south as he lived in Arizona, with his family. Although, we were always flying to different states with Albums and video shoots so saying that I lived in Illinois was really a lie- it was more of 'my registered residence is in Illinois however I spend at least a month away'.
    "You know, I'm glad that I was a kidnapping target." I stated, out of the blue on the drive home. My husband looked at me, puzzled. "Because I met you. Look at the amazing life it has given me. I have an amazing husband, three equally amazing kids, a beautiful home and the most incredible friends and family that I could ever have wished for." He took my hand and kissed it, still paying attention to the road.
    "Do you ever wonder what your life would have been like if we hadn't met?" He asked. I nodded.
    "I'd probably be living out in Cali. Most likely a single mom or maybe even with no kids. I know for a fact that I'd drink too much, smoke too much and I'd still act like I was fourteen, even through I'm thirty. What about you?" I asked.
"Still be single, for sure. I'd probably only speak to my brother and colleagues, have no friends and never go out. I'd probably just stay in, drink and sleep." He shrugged. "I can't imagine life without you and the kids. I don't want to imagine it."
"You won't ever have to, baby, I promise."