Chapter 11

"She's stable. The surgery was a success." Jay didn't know he had been holding his breath but finally exhaling made him feel less nauseous. He hugged his sister-in-law with relief. "She's going to wake up soon and me or Dr.Bekker will come and check up on her in a little while." He patted an emotional Jay's shoulder.
   "Jay. I'm sorry." Will stood there, red eyed and pale. Natalie mouthed the word 'go' but he proceeded, "I'm really sorry. I am. I- I didn't know that she-"
    "So that excuses it, does it?" The detective retaliated, bitterly. Nat tried to holding him back but she couldn't. "I'm not even talking about the physical damage, I'm talking about the mental damage, Will. For fuck sake! God knows how much you've affected her- she was doing so well!"
    "Jay, I know I messed up-"
    "You messed up?" Jay clenched his fists. "You put my fucking wife in hospital, you son of a bitch and all you can say is 'oh I messed up'." He took a long breath. "She was kidnapped from her show after a shooting and tortured for days until we found her! And now this- you scaring her half to death- fuck I wish it was me in that bed."
   "So it is her who's the famous singer." Will muttered under his breath. "Look I'm sorry. Can I just talk to her-"
    "Don't go within fifty feet of her, asshole." Jay warned. Will pushed him aside, trying to get though only to be met with a stone-cold punch, directly to the face. "I mean it, you've already don't enough damage."

    "Jay?" I muttered, coming round from anaesthesia. I opened my eyes to be met with my husband right by my side, his hand tightly holding mine. He ran his thumb over my face and placed his dry lips to my head.
    "Hey, just rest, okay. You're okay, baby." He whispered, his eyes red and tired. "God I love you so much."
    "I love you, too." I replied, kissing his cheek. He didn't leave my side at all; from when I woke up, through when Dr.Rhodes came and told me about my surgery, through all the checkups and all of that shit. The whole day, he was at my side.
    "Mrs.Halstead." A woman knocked at the door, smiling as she entered the room. "My name's Sharon Goodwin and I'm the head of patient and medical services at Chicago Med." She introduced herself. "Due to your reputation, word seems to have spread that you are in the hospital. We have press crowding and gathering outside the main entrance." I sighed, resting my head on Jay's chest. "What should we do? Would you like us to send them away?" She asked. I shook my head.
    "I'm tired of hiding. I don't want to hide away anymore." I announced, Jay agreeing. "Jay," I turned to my husband, "do you wanna go with Mrs.Goodwin and tell the world that your wife and child are in good hands?" I asked, smirking. He looked at me, trying to register what I said.
    "You're pregnant? Since when? Oh my god, I love you." He spoke so quickly, embracing me as softly as he could.
    "When you went to get some coffee, Connor came and told me. I'm about a month." He kissed me, getting up to go with Mrs.Goodwin to address the press.

      The press swarmed the executive as she stepped up into the press panel, closely followed by Jay.
    "Good Morning, my name is Sharon Goodwin and I'm the head of Patient and Medical services here at Chicago Med. in regards to Addilyn Kingston, I'll hand over to Mr.Jay Halstead for more information." She stepped down so that Hay could take his place at the podium.
    "My wife suffered a cardiac arrest brought on by a PTSD triggered panic attack." He began, taking a deep breath. "She is awake and her and our baby are both stable. Thanks to Dr.Rhodes, Dr.Bekker and their team, they are in the best hands in all of Chicago. Thank you."
    "You will be updated on Mrs.Halstead's condition but for now that's all." Sharon finished off for the nervous detective, leading him back inside to get some coffee.
    "I'm scared that I put her life in danger again, you know? Like, saying about her being pregnant and stuff." He explained, taking the cup of hot coffee from the kind lady. She smiled, and explained to him that she understood where he was coming from but that she could assure him that his wife would be safe.