Chapter 6

It could have been a hour, a week or even a month I had been in that room. My hands were tied to a radiator, the rope so tight that it left indentations in my wrists. My makeup was smeared, mascara stains on my cheeks and my hair greasy and unwashed.
"Do you want food?" One of my kidnappers lazily asked, opening the door to my cell.
"Fuck you." I coughed, my throat dry. I had accepted that I would die but at least I was dying for something I believed in. He slammed the door, the sound making my ears ring.
I lay on the floor, weak and afraid. I heard nothin but silence outside. It was night, I guessed, and my kidnappers were probably drinking somewhere in the building. I yanked at my restraints but they wouldn't budge.
"Fuck." I whispered. I pulled in them again but still, nothing. I tried to cry but my body was too dehydrated to let out tears so I just whispered. Until I heard a gunshot.
Then another. And another. Then I heard voices. Lots of voices.
Bang. Bang. Voice. Bang. Voice. Bang. Voice.
"Help!" I screamed, coughing at the dryness. "Help!" I pulled at the restraints, screaming as I did so. I could taste the metal in my mouth as I coughed up blood from my sore throat but I kept in screaming. "Help!"
"Addilyn." The door opened and the room flooded with light. I looked up from the floor to see Jay running to my side, three other cops behind him. "Addy." He choked, untying me. I tried to reply but my voice was so dry that I couldn't even whisper.
Jay carried me out into a field. There were cars with sirens and flashing lights and people everywhere. I saw the journalists and reporters being pushed back by the police all yelling for my attention. But I was too focused on Jay and his heartbeat and the fresh air I could smell.
"Jay," I managed to whisper, gaining his attention, "don't tell anyone but I love you." He nodded and smiled, a tear in his eye.
"I won't, baby, I swear. It's our secret." He agreed.
I was taken away in an ambulance, Jay staying with me as I needed protection at the hospital. I was conscious and he kept telling me corny jokes to make me laugh- well smile. My brain seemed to have lost all concept of time but, with Jay, the ride only felt like a couple of minutes until I was greeted by the plastic white of the hospital.
"Was anybody else injured?" I asked Jay once I could finally talk again. He looked a me, confused. "When those guys shot up the show, did any fans get hurt or my band mates?" I asked.
"Your drummer got shot in the leg but he's okay and one fan broke her arm and some others got a couple of scrapes and bruises from all the commotion but you were the only one seriously hurt." He took my hand and rested his head down by my leg. "Fuck, if I'd just have done my job-"
"Jay, you did do your job. You found me."
"No, I didn't. I was meant to protect you and you got taken. You were beaten half to death because I couldn't fucking protect you."
"Jay, I'm here. I'm alive. I'm with you, aren't I? Right here and now. Your not my bodyguard anymore." I stated. He looked at me with tears eyes. "You're my lover, my best friend, boyfriend. I love you, Jay Halstead and nothing is ever going to change that."
"I love you too, Addy."