Chapter 10

(3rd person POV)

"Twenty-two year old female, collapsed after a PTSD induced panic-attack. BP is 90/50 and heart rate is 85." The paramedic's voice announced. Jay squeezed his wife's hand, repeatedly telling her she would be okay.
"Oh my god, Addy." Natalie raced over, taking her stethoscope to the young girl's chest. "What happened?" She asked, worry evident in her voice. She looked between the frantic Jay and his wife.
"Umm," Jay stuttered, "we were having breakfast and Will burst in and started yelling and I guess it triggered her PTSD and- and she started having a panic attack and- and then she collapsed." Natalie's raised the sides of the cart, determining that Addilyn needed a brain scan and a chest CT.
"Nat, she's going to be okay, right?"
"Her blood pressure is dangerously low and her heart rate is too fast for her body, Jay. I'm going to do everything I can for her, okay."
"Will she be okay?" He repeated, his voice more shaky. The brunette sighed, taking his hand.
"I want to check on her brain and cardiac activity. A panic attack of this scale could have caused her some damage. I'm sorry, Jay but it looks like you'll be here for a while." She reassured him. He nodded and returned to his wife's bedside.
Angry, Natalie approached Maggie. Knowing something was wrong, Maggie braced for what was coming.
"Let's order a CT scan of her chest and her head, too. I'm concerned about her blood pressure, too." She tried to stay as calm as she could, not wanting to take it out in front Maggie.
"Who's the girl with Jay?" The charge nurse asked. Natalie looked to her and back to her brother-in-law.
"That's his wife, they only got married last night." She sighed, putting her palms to her head. "I feel like this is my fault that Addy is here."
"Why?" Maggie's voice was a mix of curiosity and concern. She placed a hand on Natalie, who was clearly distressed, and rubbed her back.
"Will found out that I was being witness to Jay and he got mad. He stormed out this morning," a tear dropped down her cheek, "and it turns out he went round to Jay's house. He started shouting and yelling and Addy, she has PTSD, and he triggered it and that caused her to end up here." She was on the verge of fully collapsing into tears. "I know what Will's like. I- I should have stopped him."
"Nat, it's not your fault." Jay's voice could be heard, standing in the doorway of his wife's cubicle. "She's awake." Wiping her eyes, the doctor, followed by Maggie, entered the room, finding the singer awake. Immediately her eyes went to Natalie.
"Nat, it's not your fault." The girl reassured her friend, a sweet smile on her lips. Her heart rate had slowed to an almost normal rhythm but her blood pressure still remained low. Natalie explained that she had ordered the tests and, despite her protesting, Natalie made her stay to get them and quickly sent her off to get her scans.
"Nat," Jay grabbed her wrist as his wife was wheeled out the door, "I don't want Will within fifty feet of her." Her eyes responded with an understanding gleam.
Entering the doctors lounge, Natalie found her husband, along with Ethan and Connor who were both just arriving for their shifts.
"Do you have any idea what you've done." Nat hissed, throwing the door open. Will stood up and tried to interrupt. "You our Addilyn in the hospital. Do you have any idea what you have possibly just done?" She yelled again, Connor and Ethan now both looking over st their colleagues.
"Who the hell Is Addilyn?" Will asked, confused and angry.
"Jay's wife!" She screamed. Her husband was taken aback. "She has PTSD and that little stunt you pulled caused her to end up here. She's twenty-two year old and you might have just caused her brain damage or heart damage!" She yelled again, out of breath. Will didn't reply, only storming out of the room, leaving his wife standing there, breathing deeply. Once she was calm, she turned to Ethan and Connor. "Connor, I might need you later, if the scans turn up anything. And I'm sorry you both had to see that."
She still had to see other patients but her attention was mostly on her sister-in-law. She couldn't help in her gut feeling, partly, responsible.
"Addilyn's results." Maggie's face was grim, already worrying Nat. She looked at the scan, her eyes widening.
"Page Dr.Rhodes, please." Was all she said before diverting herself straight towards Jay and his wife. She knocked the door before entering, taking a deep breath.
"Addilyn, you will need surgery." Connor explained. The girl nodded. "Your panic caused you to have a mild cardiac arrest, meaning that now your heart is out of rhythm and is suppressing your blood flow, mostly to the brain. Me and Dr.Bekker will perform the surgery."
Jay paced, back and forth in the waiting room. Pacing. Pacing. He couldn't focus at all. His thoughts kept going to the darkest places, scenarios he didn't even want to imagine. It didn't help that news that a famous singer was in the hospital had spread and press had begun to gather outside.
"Hand me a scalpel." Connor instructed. Steady handed, he made an incision into her heart. Monitors started beeping. "Fuck, we're loosing her." He yelled.
Jay sat in the waiting room, his head on his hands, looking down. He had finally managed to sit down after he felt sick with worry. Nat came to sit by him, holding his hand for reassurance.
"Mr.Halstead,"