Chapter Sixteen: Figure It Out

By the time I managed to compose my thoughts and realize what exactly just happened, Damien was already gone. Not knowing what else to do, I called the one person who knew how to handle Damien better than anyone.

"Hey." Shayne answered.

"Hey. Are you busy right now? Are you packed for Summer Games and everything?"

"No, I'm not busy, and yes I'm packed. What's up?"i

"Can you come over here? I really need to talk to you about something."

"Ok. Yeah, be over in a minute." I hung up, pushing my hair back. Damien is in love with me. Damien. In love. With me.

Why can't I stop smiling?

My front door opened a few moments later and Shayne came in. I just sat on my couch, looking at him as I absently chewed my nails.

"Um...what's wrong?" He asked, eyebrows furrowed. "What do you need to talk to me about?"

"Well...its about Damien." It was my turn to furrow my eyebrows when he didn't look the least bit surprised at this. "Why don't you look surprised?"

"Please. Damien is my best friend. Chances are, whatever you're about to talk to me about I already know." I shrugged. Then his eyes widened. "He told you, didn't he?"

"Told me what?" I tested. He narrowed his eyes.

"I need you to say it, because I'm not going to guess wrong and reveal something I'm not supposed to." He replied. I nodded.

"Fair enough...well, after the whole fanfiction thing, Damien and I got into kind of a...mini argument, of sorts." He nodded.

"Yeah, I heard about that."

"So you know why it was an argument in the first place?" He nodded. "because apparently, Damien has been in love with me since we first met."

"Oh finally! Thank God! It was driving me nuts that he was debating on telling you." he said, collapsing onto the couch. "What did you say?"

"I didn't know what to say. I needed time to process, but instead of letting me answer, he just assumed he already knew what I was going to say and walked out." He raised his eyebrows.

"So, I take it he assumed you don't feel the same way." I nodded. "Do you? Feel the same way?" I bit my lip, thinking about it.

"Yeah...yeah, I think that I do." He smiled. "What do I do?! I mean, he thinks I rejected him."

"Just explain it to him. He'll understand." I sighed, nodding in agreement and grabbing my phone, finding Damien's name and pressing the call button. It rang twice before saying:

"Hi, you've reached Damien Haas. Sorry I couldn't take your call, but leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you. Thanks." It beeped.

"Hey, Damien. Can you call me? You didn't really give me a chance to say anything, and I'd really like to talk about this. Just...call me back." I hung up, looking at Shayne.

"He ignored it, huh?" He asked. I nodded.

"Oh, this is bad." I groaned. 

"Its not that bad." Shayne answered. "Just talk to him tomorrow when you see him. Its going to be fine." I bit my lip.

"Ok. Sorry I called you over here just for that."

"Don't worry about it. Its a refreshing change to give you advice about Damien as opposed to the other way around."