Chapter Five: What Is Wrong With Me?

After struggling through the accent challenge and being thankfully exempt from Egg Roulette, we had finished filming an entire episode of Seriously Super Stupid Sleepover. Once I had taken off my onsie and mic pack, Matt Raub called me over.

"Ok, so this isn't typically how this works, but until you get settled into the swing of things, how about you take the footage and immediately start editing this episode?' He suggested, handing me a memory card.

"Yeah, sounds great." I stated.

"Ok, you're just gonna go down the hall its the first door on your left, and then find Spencer. He'll get you set up." I nodded.

"Awesome, thank you."

"I love your sister, Shayne," He spoke across the room, "She's so polite. All her pleases and thank yous. You could learn a thing or tow."

"You know you wouldn't have me be any other way, Matt Raub." He yelled back. I smiled, rolling my eyes and leaving the set, going to the door Matt Raub had told me to go to. I knocked on the door before opening it, revealing a room full of tables and computers alike. At a few of the tables were a few people that were, from the looks of things, editing videos and monitoring the Smosh social media.

"Hey, can I help you?" One guy asked, putting his headphones around his neck.

"Hi, I'm Samantha Topp. Its my first day and I was told to come here and find Spencer?"

"Yeah, that's me. What can I help you with?" 

"Well Matt Raub told me to get started editing the Sleepover episode they just filmed. He said you would help me get set up."

"Right, yeah. Of course. Um...there's a spare computer right over here." He lead me over to an empty desk in the corner. "We're using Final Cut. Are you familiar with that software at all or..."

"Yeah, I know Final Cut." I confirmed.

"Great, then you're off to a good start. All of the usual titles and transitions we usually use for Sleepover are already in the software, but feel free to get creative, add what you want to add. Then once you're done double and triple save it and then put it on..." He opened the desk drawer, pulling out a purple hard drive. "This hard drive, then once you're done I'll show you what to do with it. And yeah, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask."

"Yeah, for sure. Thank you so much."

"Yeah, no problem. Welcome to Smosh."

"Thank you!"

~~~Damien~~~

Every spare moment I had throughout the rest of the day had me, at some point or another, thinking about Sam. It wasn't' distracting me from work or anything, but when I wasn't doing anything it was hard to keep her from popping into my mind every now and then. Before I didn't really get to see her all that much, so it wasn't that hard to not think about her but now...she's here. She works at Smosh, she's in this building and is going to be every day and now that she is...I can't stop thinking about her.

She looks incredible today. She has a very old-school sense of style, though the day often depends on what decade she's going for. Sometimes its very 1960's, 1950's type clothes and then other days its the 80's and 90's. It all depends. But I like how it fluctuates depending on the day...and how she looks great in everything, including the pizza onsie she was wearing this morning.

And I love how willing she was to just jump in and be a part of the video. It was like she belonged there...like she'd been there the entire time-

"Damien, you need to stop." I thought to myself. "You're not going to do anything about it. You're not going to make a move or ask her out or tell her how you feel so there's no point in thinking about her so much. Either tell her or forget about her."

I knew what I wanted to do. I wanted to tell her. I wanted to sit her down, tell her I've always liked her, and ask her out on a date. I want to kiss her. I have a desire to do that to a creepy degree and I often feel like a stalker because when she talks to me I tend to get distracted by her lips.

But I can't do any of that. It will ruin everything if I do that. Either she won't feel the same way, which I guarantee she doesn't, and things will get super awkward, or she will, we'll date, and then me being the awkward, introverted guy that I am won't give her the attention she deserves and we'll break up and then she'll hate me forever. Its a lose-lose situation, so as much as I want to...I can never tell her.

"So stop thinking about her then. Move on. Focus on work, find a different girl, do something to get Sam out of your head-"

"Damien!" I was dragged out of my thoughts, looking up to see Sarah looking at me with a concerned look on her face. "I've been calling your name for like ten minutes. Are you ok?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good. Just zoned out, sorry." I answered.

"Well, they're going to film Board AF so you might want to get down there." She told me.

"Right, yeah. I'm going. Thanks." 

"Yeah...are you sure you're ok?" I nodded.

"I'm fine. My mind is just somewhere else today." She nodded, eyeing me warily. 

"Ok. Get going, they're waiting for you." I nodded again, taking off in the direction of the set for Board AF. I paused briefly as I passed the editing room, glancing through the door to see Sam sitting at a desk in the corner. I could see myself dancing on the screen in front of her. She was biting her lip in concentration, her eyes flitting rapidly around the screen. I sighed and began walking again.

What is wrong with me?