Chapter 5

Fernpaw stumbled out of the medicine den, her raccoon bites covered in roots she'd applied herself. Flintberry was out, so she figured she'd just treat herself. She padded towards the elder's den, where Yarrowfall was scraping at the elder's nest.

"Oh, I remember when you were just a little kit," Doefoot started. "Mudstar was thinking about naming you Tansykit, but Leopardheart decided on Yarrowkit." The elder purred.

"Oh, Fernpaw." Littlenose's ears perked up. "I haven't been feeling so well," The frail elder wheezed.

"Oh, I'll get Flintber-" Fernpaw was cut short when the herb patrol came barreling in.

"Flintberry's dead!" Swanheart yowled. Fernpaw snapped around, to hear Galeface and Owlfoot carrying the medicine cat's body. The black apprentice shook, whimpers escaping her muzzle.

"H-how..." She'd step out of the elder's den.

"Those damn raccoons..." Owlfoot huffed. The warriors laid Flintberry's scarred body in the clearing, as the clans gathered. Mudstar leaped onto the Damp Rock, looking sorrowful for his fallen clanmate.

"Flintberry was an amazing medicine cat. He's served the clan for many moons." The brown leader mewed. The clan was filled with grief. "Fernpaw," Mudstar called. "You are the only cat with herb knowledge. You shall take over as a full medicine cat." Fernpaw folded her ears back, her heart breaking. "By the powers of StarClan, I name you Fernpath. This may not be the path you want, but it is in your destiny." Mudstar huffed.

"Fernpath! Fernpath!" The clan let out half-hearted cheers. Fernpath felt sadness fill her from head to tail-tip. All her hard work, for nothing. And her former mentor was dead. Every crack in her broken heart stabbed at her chest. This day couldn't get any worse for Fernpath.

She turned back down at Flintberry's limp body. The clan sat vigil that night. They all mourned the loss of their medicine cat and shared memories they had with him. Soon enough, the sun started to rise. The sunrise patrol set out, as Littlenose and Doefoot went to bury the body.
Fernpath trudged into the medicine den, her paws heavy with grief. Her assessment was supposed to be in a few days. Now she could never live out her dream.

* * * * *

A few days later, Fernpath was grooming herself in the medicine den. Hazelkit came trotting in. "Hey, Fernpath." Hazelkit mewed.

"Hey," Fernpath grunted. "What do you need?" The she-cat held back a slightly irritated grunt.

"I scratched my leg while playing moss ball with Boulderkit." The brown she-kit held up her leg, to reveal a minor scratch. Fernpath pressed her nose against it, then turned towards the herb store. She sniffed around for the marigold. She located it and applied it to Hazelkit's scratch.
"Be careful next time, okay?" Fernpath mewed.

"I will." Hazelkit squeaked. "Thanks, Fernpath!" She then bolted out of the medicine den to return to her game of moss ball. Fernpath let out a huff of defeat. She remembered playing games with Stonepaw as kits. They'd pretend to be warriors, going into great battles. Now Fernpath could never live out that fantasy.

* * * *
"From this day forward, you shall be known as Stonestripe, for your loyalty and kindness." Mudstar yowled from the Damp Rock.

"Stonestripe! Stonestripe!" The clan cheered. Stonestripe then joined Leopardheart at the reed tunnel. Fernpath, curious about what a new warrior's hunt was like, dipped out of the dirtplace tunnel and followed. Fernpath listened to their every movement, intrigued. Just as an earthy scent rolled into Fernpath's nose, Stonestripe let out a not-so-convincing yelp of pain.

"Ow! I got a burr in my pad!" Stonestripe dramatically squeaked.

"Need help getting it out?" Leopardheart seemed convinced, but Fernpath knew from the sound of Stonestripe's voice that she was lying.

"Oh, it's really deep in there." Stonestripe retorted. "I should probably go see Fernpath. I'll catch up with you later!" The new warrior then dashed off, towards the earthy scent. Fernpath followed, keeping her paw steps light.

"You're a terrible liar." An unfamiliar voice joked. It sounded like a tom, and Fernpath assumed he was talking to Stonestripe.

"Oh, hush, Coyoteclaw." Stonestripe purred. Fernpath's blind eyes widened. Coyoteclaw! The medicine cat recognized that name from gatherings. He was a new ValleyClan warrior. But why was he on SwampClan territory? More importantly, why was he talking to Stonestripe?

"You got your warrior name?" Coyoteclaw asked.

"Yep. You can call me Stonestripe now!" The she-cat purred.

"That's such a beautiful name for such a beautiful she-cat." The ValleyClan tom mewed. The two cats inched closer together.

"I wish we could truly be together." Stonestripe huffed. "But I can't leave my sister, and I know you don't want to leave ValleyClan."

"Maybe one day," Coyoteclaw started. "The warrior code might change, and we could be truly together, forever."