AFTER school, Echo found herself in the kitchen with John, Jenna and Jeremy. It was a good time with all of them. Lots of laughter, but also the annoying John.

She was leaning against the countertop eating grapes and sipping her coffee, thinking about what her father and uncle were doing right now. Would they be trying to find a way to save her? Were they searching for every possible clue on where she went? Or did they have too much to worry about and didn't have time to think about her?

What she didn't know was the fact that once she went into the portal, she was erased from their memories.

"I've no interest in the founder's day kick-off party," Jeremy said, stealing a grape from Echo who didn't even acknowledge it.

"Tell me about it," Echo said absently, stuffing a grape into her mouth.

"Sure you kids do. It's tradition," John said.

Echo let out a scoff she was holding in, and Jenna spoke up, "It will be our roll to break tradition."

Echo laughed, a loud, obnoxious laugh Jeremy always thought was hilarious.

"The Gilbert's have been a part of this town for a hundred and fifty years. We're one of the founding families and with that distinction comes certain obligations including going to the party. One day, when you two can both appreciate the significance I'll tell you about your heritage."

"Boring," Echo said, rolling her eyes. She forgot how secret the Gilbert legacy was. She then remembered that she's not really even a Gilbert, anyway.

"I'm not Gilbert so I was never cool enough to hear it," Jenna spoke up as if she had read Echo's mind.

"Don't worry," Echo spoke up, stuffing a grape in her mouth. "When I know, you'll know."

"Why does she hate you?" Jeremy asked, talking about Jenna and John.

"We used to sleep together."

Echo choked on a grape. Literally. It went down her throat and she had to guzzle some water.

Jenna threw a apple at John which made Echo burst out laughing. "I am standing right here!"

"I just can't believe mom and dad never told you guys that you were adopted," Jeremy said as the three walked near the lake.

"Sure they would have eventually," Elena stated and Echo frowned. She really wished that she was their biological family because at one point, long ago, she did wish to have a normal, apple-pie life.

"Why were you guys so worried about what I'll think?" Jeremy asked them, frowning.

"Because... I don't know. It's weird. Going your whole life thinking your blood related to someone," Echo trailed off, her kind still thinking about her father and uncle.

"Does it bother you we're not?"

"No, Jer... you're our brother and that's all that matters," Elena stated and a smile appeared on Jeremy's face. A true, real smile.

"So, Mr. Saltzman said you've been doing great in history now," Elena said, after a moment of silence hung in the air. Echo had told her about the paper, so she began to worry about the safety of her little brother.

"Yeah, Yeah he's been really helping me out. He gave me some extra credits and stuff."

Elena smiled. "That's good, Jer."

"He loved your vampire paper," Echo stated, wanting to get an idea on how much he knew.

"He thought I had a clever angle."