The Party

Reading through Grace's journal, I get a better insight into who she was. I showed the journal to a friend on mine that works at the university here in town. She was quite interested, and it was her prompting that I made the content available. Yesterday she was visiting Dudley House. I showed her the lab and everything that I had found in it. She spent some time with me going through many of my finds and talking to me about some of the things I found in there.

While walking through the room, she noticed that the wallpaper was peeling away in the corners of the room. Not uncommon for such an old house, especially a place that has been unused for at least 35 years. I investigated the peeling wallpaper as she stood in the room, watching. As I peeled away the edge to see what's underneath. It was another layer of wallpaper. Knowing that I've been searching for the missing pages, she suggested that it wasn't uncommon for Victorian people to hide things they didn't want people to find by placing them in walls, or behind wallpaper.

Now I am preparing to remove the wallpaper from this room to see what I can find, if anything, that Grace Dudley left behind.

-Eli Brown.

April 28, 1867

Dear Mother,

Jayne showed up earlier today to spend time with me before the party. I think Auntie was relieved to have her on hand as she was suddenly in charge of making me look presentable. Jayne is this perfect little woman. Every hair perfectly in place, make-up is never too much, and she always smells like a flower garden. I'm clumsy, awkward, and my hair never stays put. I would chop it all off like a boy if given a chance.

We snuck into Father's room, and I borrowed a bowler, waistcoat, and a pair of breeches. We never stopped laughing, running through the house, dodging the servants, and finally stealing away into my room. I dressed in Father's clothes, tucked my hair up, and began to tell horrible jokes in a bad accent. Jayne just laughed and laughed. I was so happy making her laugh.

I told her about my sleepwalking. I told her I have bad dreams. Tonight, we'll share my bed, and she promised that she won't let me wander away.

Turns out, she enjoys reading tarot cards. When I told her that I was given a set, she became so excited that she's getting ready to do a reading right now.

I better had best get back to my guest.

Love,

Grace

April 28, 1867

Dear Grace,

You're sleeping right now. I enjoyed spending time with you tonight. I really appreciated that you never asked me to change back into that senseless corset and didn't fuss while I was wearing the bowler hat while you read my cards. You're quite good at it, but I don't think there's a man coming into my life. Though, I agree about the confusing part with the two of swords. There are no choices for me to make right now. Except where to hide father's bowler hat.

You're right, of course, every lady needs a good hat.

Again, you are a very fine woman. I am lucky to have you are a friend.

I hold you in great affection.

Love,

Grace

P.S.

I will probably never tell you this. I don't want to frighten you. And I'm only writing this down because I know, this time, I am awake. I had signed my name when I heard the door handle rattle, and as I looked over, the handle clicked. At first, I thought that maybe it was my Auntie or Father checking in on us. But as the door crept open, I began to feel so cold and a little bit sick. Expecting to see a familiar face, I was shocked when there was nothing. I stood up to close the door and return to bed, to you. But when I turned around, I saw the woman from my dream standing over you while you lay sleeping. For the first time, I am wondering if maybe it wasn't a dream. My mind raced, wondering what to do about this. I looked away for just a moment, and when I looked back, she was gone.