Liam grinned from beside her, slinging his arm around Winter's shoulder as he ordered another round from the bar. "She's right, baby," he said adoringly, his words slurring slightly. "You did amazing. Now please just relax. You've earned a break."

I gratefully accepted the drink pushed my way, draining the liquid in seconds.

"You know," Winter chimed. "I'm starting to think that you both might have a drinking problem. You might want to slow down."

I shook my head, waving her off. "Nah, I only drink when I'm out with mates," mostly. "I'm fine."

She gave me a sceptical look but, thankfully, didn't say anything else on the matter, instead turning her attention to Liam when he spilt the contents of his drink all over his jeans.

"Where'd Axel go?" I asked no one in particular a few minutes later once Winter was done trying to clean the mess.

Liam looked from his irritated girlfriend to me and back again before absentmindedly answering my question. "Went to the toilet I think."

Without another word, I got up from my seat to find Axel and give the couple some privacy. They weren't getting enough alone time these days with all the work they'd been doing and it was still putting a massive strain on their relationship no matter how much it was clear they cared for one another.

I was hoping that this outing we'd planned for celebrating Winter's fashion show would bring them closer together again but only time would tell. I mean, I knew they'd work it out eventually but I wanted it to be sooner rather than later. It really wasn't great when two of your closest friends were bickering. It killed me to see them so strained and unhappy so the faster they solved this the better, for all our sakes.

It took me a few minutes before I spotted Axel on the opposite side of the room. I wandered over to him, doing my best not to stumble as I did.

His back was turned so I tried to scare him but my drunken clumsiness must have given me away when I accidentally knocked over a glass from a nearby table. The 'thud' made him turn around and spot me before I could make him jump. I huffed in annoyance, crossing my arms like a child and Axel chuckled, probably catching onto my failed plan.

"Trying to scare me were you?"

I didn't look him in the eye, instead choosing to focus on the dark ceiling. "Maybe..."

Axel shook his head in amusement, his brown eyes twinkling in the yellow lights. "Only you, Harper. Only you," he muttered and I grinned at him.

"Wanna go for a walk outside? It's too stuffy in here."

"What about Liam and Winter?" he asked, gesturing to the couple whispering to each other by the bar.

I shook my head, grabbing his hand as I lead him outside. He didn't protest but I could see the confusion on his face as we walked, him patiently waiting for an explanation.

Once we made it out of the stuffy club, I released a breath, turning to face Axel. "They need some alone time," I explained shortly, not bothering to go into specifics; now wasn't the time. "So we're going to do something fun."

He raised a questioning brow at me, a smirk dancing on his lips. I matched his expression with my own mischievous grin as I gently tugged on his arm so he was trailing behind me. "Whoah, I'm not that kind of guy. At least buy me dinner first," he joked, matching my pace, making me roll my eyes in amusement.

We moved quickly along the New York City streets, not wasting a second of our precious time together. I pulled Axel from alley to alley, manoeuvring us through the city I'd come to understand so well. I knew all the back alleys and side streets because it was a necessity in escaping the paparazzi. They never tended to look for you in such inconspicuous areas — at least, usually they didn't.