Chapter 16: The Cure to a Broken Heart

A couple of hours later, Robin and the rebels were returning to the castle from their attack on the queen's palace. They were unsuccessful in capturing the palace. But they did not lose any lives which were a win according to Robin.
He had told his men that Snow wasn't feeling well and asked to stay. A poor excuse, for sure, but he couldn't possibly tell them the real reason.

When they entered the castle, something felt very wrong. Concerned, he scurried down the hall. In the far distance, he heard a faint wail. 

"Robin?" He heard William called out. 

He broke himself into a run with the others at his heels. He raced up the stairs, took a sharp left. As he came closer, he heard the wail grow louder. He came to a room and found a little maid sobbing over a limp body. His heart stopped when he recognized the body. 

"No, no, no." He said. He rushed forward to see it was indeed Snow. The princess lay on the floor, crumbs scattered over her dress, a fork was in her hand. He fell to his knees. 

The spell, it didn't work?

"What happened?' William demanded. She looked up in anguish. 

"I fed her an apple pie to cheer her up, she didn't want it but she took it anyway. I didn't mean for this to happen its all my fault!" 

Apple? 

A memory flashed before his eyes. They were back in the campsite.

 "Would you like an apple, Miss Snow?" Snow face paled as she backed away. She never did tell why she hated the fruit so much. No, not hate, fear. Back then, Robin didn't think much of it, nor did he ask. His face paled as he realized what happened. 

"The apple, it was poisoned." He said. 

"She's dead?" Jon said in his small voice. 

"No, she can't be," Robin said. He scooped her up. 

"Robin-" William said giving him a look he knew well. He wasn't ready to face that truth. 

"There has to be a cure." He said. "I know where I can find one" 

They raced through the forest on horseback. Robin cradled Snow in his left arm.  No matter how fast he rode, he could not stop the colour from her cheeks from fading. At last, they arrived at the Enchantress's cottage. When he hopped off the saddle, the Enchantress opened the door, her eyes that usually glowed with mischievous youth was now blazing with fury. 

"You dare run to me after what you did, Robin?" Her words stabbed him like a dagger. 

'What is she talking about Robin?" William asked. He ignored him and gave her a pleading look. 

"Please! You must save her! There must be a cure!" 

"A cure to what? The curse you put on her, or the poison?" The room fell quiet. Eyes pierced at him at all sides.

"You did what?" William snarled at him. He looked back at his men. His loyal men. The looks of distrust in their eyes wounded Robin. 

"What did you do?" Jon cried. His lips parted to speak, but no words came. 

"He cursed her to obey." He heard the Enchantress speak. Fury burned in William's eyes. Hot and red as his hair. 

"You just couldn't trust her couldn't you?" He said, jabbing a finger. Anger riled up inside of him. Robin's jaw clenched. 

"I did it for her safety!" He snapped.

"Yet she is dead!" Robin glanced down at Snow who lay limp in his arms.