Their house had been on a private property, so the damage would be self contained and had no risk of spreading to other houses. I thought to myself.

"Madara, come with me."

The Uchiha nodded, and with one swift movement of his gunbai he dispelled the flames of the fire.

-

Ayumi slowly entered the damaged property, the smell of ash immediately bombarding her. She coughed, covering her mouth. Madara did a good job sweeping away the fire, though soot and dust remained. 

"It's not safe if we stay here for long." Madara spoke.
Ayumi nodded. "Let's find their bodies and give them a proper burial." She looked at Madara.

"Do you suspect that someone did this?" The Uchiha brushed his finger across the tatami mat floor, dusting off the soot from his hands. 
"We'll find that out too." Ayumi observed her surroundings with her Byakugan, taking in  any details. Madara had been doing the same, though with his sharingan.

Ayumi turned around in a circle. "They're..."
"Here." Madara crouched to the two corpses before him. They had been badly burnt, and their bodies were stiff and blackened due to the fire. 
Madara remained completely indifferent, but Ayumi was beginning to struggle with the fact that this happened so quickly right under her nose.
I'm a horrible leader... she clenched her fist.

"Ayumi." Madara's red eyes fluttered to hers, as he stood up right now. "There is no time to be blaming yourself."

"Right." She shook her head, "But-"
"No time for hesitation. Let's go. You'll deal with it." Madara spoke firmly, and though the room was dark, his eyes were glowing with a deep redness. She was stunned for a moment.

"O-oi, Madara. Look, a note." Ayumi noticed in the corner of the room a piece of paper that was lucky to not have been affected. Ayumi quickly collected it.

"Let's head out." Madara motioned to the exit while sealing the two corpses into a scroll.

-

Ayumi dusted her shoulders from the soot, mournfully looking at the house. She unraveled the letter, so that both Madara and her can read it.

"Hyuga family,
You have been unable to pay your debts, and so you paid a hefty price with your lives to make up for it. 

~ Kumogakure"

A rage boiled in her blood quicker than usual as she looked at the insignia stamped at the bottom half of the letter.
She clenched her fist so tightly it drew blood. "Those damn bastards! Signing their name so proudly. Oh I'll show them-"

"Save the anger for when the actual fight happens." Madara snapped.
"Huh? Actual fight?" She frowned.

He sighed. "We're going to Kumogakure to find out who did this."
Ayumi's eyes lit up. She was sure the small act of justice would make the children's pain and suffering less. "Okay. But..." she looked over her shoulder to the fallen house, "I think we should take the children with us. Kumo shinobi could be looking for them too, they're not safe alone here."

"They would just get in our way." Madara crossed his arms.
"Madara. I can't leave them." Ayumi looked up to him pleadingly, frowning. "Besides, they have no place to stay."
Madara walked away, sighing. "Let's go."

Koniko quickly approached Ayumi and Madara, with the two children in excessive tears behind her.

"Kenzo. Kaouru." Ayumi ran up to them, crouching to their level, wiping their tears. "I swear I'll do everything in my power to protect the both of you. Come with us to Kumogakure." She spoke to them with concerned eyes, shaking their shoulders. They had seemed so empty inside already. 
Madara was intently watching his fiancee comfort the mourning children. It had reminded him of the way he looked after Izuna when their brothers passed away. That is why I want to help...

"It will take three days on foot to reach to Kumogakure. But we can get there quicker if we hurry." Madara stepped forward, filling in the dreaded silence. Both Ayumi and Koniko looked his way. "Koniko, was it?" Madara narrowed his eyes.

"Mm." Koniko nodded eagerly, bringing in the mourning children closer to her.
"Get packed and ready, we'll meet at the gates." Madara ordered. "Keep your clothing inconspicuous to the fact that you are shinobi."

"Inconspicuous? Our eyes would just give it away." Ayumi pouted, pointing to her pale orbs. Koniko sighed.
Madara began walking. "That is fine. People will just think you are blind."

"B-Blind huh..." Ayumi gritted her teeth, raising a fist in the air. "Oi! Isn't your clan the one that goes blind?!"
"Oh? I told you that months ago, yet you still remember." Madara closed his eyes.

"Of course I remember!" Ayumi pouted more now. Koniko patted her shoulder while chuckling.

-

Ayumi made it to the village's gates, Madara had been waiting on the bench. The princess glanced to the children behind them that were wobbling with their heavy backpacks, Koniko holding their hands to comfort them. They had gotten significantly quieter.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Madara-sama." Koniko curtly bowed. 

 "Let's get going

"Let's get going." Madara stood up and walked, all of them now catching up to Madara's pace. 
Madara noted that Kaouru's unpredictable and intrusive personality had been toned down ten fold. Usually she would have been bugging the Uchiha with excessive questions and taunts to battle. Her parent's deaths were affecting her deeply, but Madara was certain that the support Kaouru and Kenzo were receiving from their clan would help them grieve in a healthy way.

"Three days, huh..." Ayumi looked up at the sky. It was cloudy. "Yosh. I'll make sure I get them." She looked back at the two children whose heads were dangling now. For their sake.

"What will we do about housing?" Ayumi rubbed her chin, walking beside Madara. 
"I own a cottage on a piece of land not too far from Kumo. We can seek shelter there." He briefly explained.
"Hooo?" Ayumi hummed curiously, "Why own a piece of land there?"

Madara looked down at her for a second, then straight ahead. 
"It was an establishment I built during the warring states period."
"Interesting! Let's try getting there in less than three days." Ayumi looked excited.
So we can bring those two justice. She thought to herself.