1 4

chapter fourteen: trick

THINGS WERE ALL twisted up in Melanie's head. She turned her head to the side, glancing at the time that was on her cable box.

She saw the neon green numbers: 9:20, damn.

She had to get ready for the party. Rue begged her to attend the Halloween party at Kat's house. That's how miserable she had been lately. Rue had to beg her to go to a Halloween party.

Halloween was Melanie's favorite holiday and no, it wasn't for the candy. It was the simple fact that on October 31st, you could be anybody you wanted to be. You could be a murder, a fairy, a playboy bunny and no one would call you a weirdo or shout you out on the street. Halloween called for weird costumes or FX makeup; it was a form of expression.

This year Halloween had only been in the back of her mind.

All she had been doing lately was going to school and going straight home. That's it. She hadn't really spoke to Fez in the last couple of days, not knowing what to do with him.

Melanie pretty much ignored all his calls and texts. Mel stood up from her bed, grabbing her towel and exiting her room and going over to the empty bathroom. She took off her clothes and hopped in the shower, hoping to wash everything away.

The shower quickly ended, and she wrapped the towel around herself, exiting and then entering into her room. Melanie glanced over to her phone what was on the edge of her bed.

Fezco: I miss you

Fezco: Please talk to me

Fezco: It's been days. Please let me explain. I'm coming to the party.

She decided not to answer back. If she saw him at the party then she saw him, but there was no way she was going to look for him. Melanie went to her large closet to check out all the clothes she had.

Melanie could have chosen a lot of people from her long list. This year she thought about being a sexy character, like Betty Boop or Jessica Rabbit but then she realized that the party she was attending wasn't like the ones in New York, it wasn't going to be held in a hall filled with rich kids. It was in a small house, down the road from her... So, she settled for someone as equally attractive but also had a dark element. Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction was her best bet.

Mia was her spirit animal.

Fez could have been the Vincent Vega to her Mia Wallace but unfortunately she had to do it alone.