t w e n t y - f o u r

No one. Not a soul.

   The streets were desolate and dark, the city slumbering. The towering streetlamps flickered as the car drove beneath them. The headlights dimly illuminated the way against the forested street, casting long shadows. Streetlights were placed quite sparingly between one another, so they could go seconds without any light other than the headlights. Catalina was a little scared that a coyote would appear out of nowhere. They hadn't seen another car for about ten minutes, but it was only normal. Who would be out near the lake in the middle of the night?

   The stereo played Boleros and lo-fi while Jae nagged that the music was too mellow and it was making him fall asleep. Every time he went to change radio stations, Catalina would slap his hand away.

   After they'd dropped Daniel off at his apartment, Catalina sent a text to her father that she was alright and she would call around seven a.m to explain everything.

   "Why can't you just sit tight?" She asked, looking over at bright green display on the car radio. It was nearly five in the morning but she wasn't as tired as she thought she'd be, surprisingly, she guessed it was because of her recent insomnia.

   "I wanna go out, explore!" Jae shuffled in the passenger's seat with a bright smile on his lips as his words slurred. "I'm getting a bit dizzy in here."

   Catalina nodded, trying not to stare at his carefree smile for too long. "We're almost there," she said, glancing at him.

   Jae groaned, lowering the window and letting the biting cold air flush into the car. He'd been burning up in the car with its heating and his burning cheeks. "Can we stop for cigarettes?"

   Catalina made a left turn. "Nope, we're already here, and we passed the closest convenience store like ten minutes ago." She frowned.

   Jae threw his head back on the head rest and gave another groan. "You know I get nervous when I see you. You should've brought one to calm my nerves."

   "I don't smoke, honey." Catalina unbuckled her seat belt as soon as she parked the car.

   Jae then turned to Catalina and grinned. "Cat, Cat, Cat."

   "What?" She rolled her eyes, reclining her seat a bit.

   "Do you want to know a secret?"

   "Sure."

   He looked around and leaned towards her slightly. "I had my first kiss," he whispered.

   "What?" Catalina shot her head towards him. She guessed he'd made out with Audrey considering the hickey on his neck, but his first kiss?

   "Shh." He frowned, "People might hear ya."

   "Wait, what do you mean your first kiss? Like make-out? Or kiss?"

   "Both." Jae deadpanned.

   "You're telling me you've never kissed anyone before tonight?"

   "Nope!"

   "H-how?"

   Jae shrugged. "Never had a girlfriend."

   "Well, yeah, but, but..."

   "Never went to parties, barely had friends...got bullied a few times...stuff like that. Just never got around to it." After he blew a raspberry, he began twisting and turning again. "When are we getting off again?"

   "In, like, an hour?" She looked at the time again, unable to look over the fact that Jae wasn't as she'd thought him to be. "How about you rest up for a bit until the sun comes out?"