Chapter Two

Chapter 2

Three Old Grannies give me Directions

I froze. You see when the fates appear it's never good. Most of the time it involves death. They continued to smile at me, waiting for me to make the first move. I could go two ways with this. I could attempt to attack and have then snip my cord before I could even get close or, I could approach them and see what they want. Plan B it is.

I put away my dagger (I got it in Sparta. The actual blade is shaped like a bolt of lightning) and said,"Heel Amatheia." "But Zeus..." she said. I could tell she was dying to attack. Oh I think I forgot to say, Amaltheia can speak. Well I wouldn't really call it 'speaking' more like she had a direct link to my mind and could communicate with me that way. I replied, "It's ok Amaltheia. I don't think they mean any harm." They replied (that raspy voice of theirs sending a shiver down my spine) with," Yes child. No harm. We merely want to speak with you."

We approached them, Amaltheia grudgingly, and sat with them. Suddenly, a fire appeared out of nowhere. Not that I dind't appreciate it. I was freezing. They continued to smile at me, which kind of creeped me out, until one of them said,"Arn't you going to thank your saviours?"

"You wouldn't have come to save me if my 'fate' wasn't 'sealed'" I counter with, They chuckle in unision, which REALLY scared me, and replied with,"You make a good point. But we for see you will not remain bitter. You are not as stupid as your father. And do not question fate boy. It is very much real. And yours, I'm afraid, is quite terrible."

I stare at them for what seems like hours. I know thats it's only been minutes but my mind isn't having it. They keep staring at me in that grotesque way like they're thinking 'You're destined to have a rubbish future. Isn't that great? Anger boils inside me. Why wont they stop staring at me like that. Suddenly, one of them says,"Calm yourself child. We will not appreciate having ten thousand volts attack us." At first I don't understand what they mean. Then I realise a miniture thunder storm swirling over my head, getting dangerously close to the old ladies. I quickly calm my nerves and say,"I don't suppose you'll elaborate? You know about my future."

"Oh, of course not" they say,"but we can give you direction."

"What sort of direction?" I ask, confused.

"The kind that tells you where to go silly,"one of them says. Another rolls her eyes as she says,"Immortals. Not as smart as they used to be are they?" The third, and final one begins,"Now that Ouranous he was..."

"HELLO!" I yell,"back to me please."

I hear one of them mutter,"All of them thinking the world revolves around their big heads." I let it go. Besides they've offered to help. I begin to say,"So you'll tell me where..." Before one of them cuts me off by screeching,"OF COURSE! I seriously thought we'd made that clear. Now back away child. If you stand too close, the power of the vision may kill you."

Shocked, I obeyed their order. What did they mean 'the power of the vision'. Then, as they began to chant, the horrible truth dawned on me. They were going to look into my future. As their forms began to glow, I say disturbing visions. My mother, Rhea, locked in a cage. Five strangely familiar people unconcious. And scariest of all, a dead goat in my arms. Amaltheia. But then, just as suddenly as it began, it stopped. The glows faded and all three fates looked at me once more. The said in unision,"You must go to Delphi and speak with the Oracle there. That is all we may say. Goodbye."

"D...D...Delphi? Where's Delphi?" But as I say it they vanish. All that's left of them is the sour scent of their breath.