Chapter Two

Toya & Tira- 7 Years Old

Fuyumi- 6 Years Old

Natsuo- 3 Years Old

Enji woke the next morning before the sun had made its ascent above the horizon. He looked around his large empty room with a sigh. It had the bare minimum of furniture, and some tasteful traditional art lining the walls but it lacked warmth. The room always felt cold, devoid of any love or personality. Mr. and Mrs. Todoroki had separate living quarters within the giant mansion, he only shared her bed when he felt she had a purpose to serve.

Sighing he rolled over onto his stomach and reached for the drawer of the nightstand next to his bed. He pulled it open. Inside were handmade cards and drawings from Tira and Toya, before their quirks had developed and he'd started to train them. Deep down, his heart hurt as he looked at the drawings his children had once made for him. Did he ever seem appreciative of them when the kids gave them to him? He couldn't remember. He'd always been busy with work and found it difficult to make time for them until they'd begun to show potential.

He pulled himself out of bed, tucked away the childish drawings and prepared for the day before heading to the training hall. By the time he reached the training hall, he heard a voice from within, Toya and Tira had already arrived. He paused to listen.

"Tira, are you sure you're okay? You don't look so good." Toya's voice was laced with concern.

"Mhm." Came Tira's soft sweet voice. Her voice gave him pause, it sounded unsteady.

"I know when you lie." Toya retorted.

"It's okay. I can ignore it." Tira tried to reassure her twin.

Enji frowned as he stepped into the training hall. The twins jumped at his sudden arrival. His gaze fell on Tira. There was a sickly pallor to her skin and a faint blue hue to her lips. He nearly sent her away but convinced himself she was his child, that made her strong, she could take it and continued on with their training. Despite her sickly appearance, Tira managed to keep up with the training for the first few hours.

As Enji was thinking it was about time to tell them to take a break for a late breakfast/early lunch, he ran through one more sparring exercise with Tira. Her movements were slow and sluggish and she'd left herself completely open. He landed a hit to her side and watched as she crumpled to the floor. Toya let out a cry of pain and clutched at his ribs with tears welling in his turquoise eyes. Enji paused not sure which child was in need of help as Tira wasn't making a sound though she'd been struck and Toya was crying.

"What are you crying for?" He asked Toya with a sigh as he noticed Tira trying to stand and assumed she was fine.

Toya looked beyond him, his eyes growing wide in horror and Enji turned as he heard something splash to the floor. Tira was on all fours, struggling to breathe and coughing up an alarming amount of blood.

"TIRA!" Toya cried.

Tira nearly choked on the blood pooling into her throat and expelled more of it onto the floor. She tried to wipe it away and get back on her feet. The moment she sat upright; more blood spilled from her lips. Short ragged gasping breaths escaped her but it didn't seem like she was able to get any air.

Enji swore under his breath and swept her into his arms. Toya tried to run after him but he snapped at him and told him to stay put before yelling for the driver to bring the car around. The sound of Toya's screams echoed in the back of his mind haunting him as he raced toward the car cradling Tira's delicate form in his arms.