Chapter Six

Hey guys. Sorry about the last two updates. I have been so busy lately. Bonus points for everyone who understood the Chapter Title. "Why was 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9." H-ha-ha. By the by, this will be a very short chapter. Please enjoy!

***

Jessica

After study hall, Tessa and I walked to class. We were chatting and giggling when I saw Carly. I wasn't going to mention or call to her in front of Tess but it looked like she had already caught a glimpse of her ex-boyfriend's current-girlfriend. She clenched her jaw and tightened her grip on her school books. Her knuckles turned white. She kept joking around but I could tell that she was tense. After Carls turned the corner things seemed to be lighter, however there was a clear sense of gravity over the situation.

Tessa and I went our separate ways to class and I caught up with Sally. She and I were on the phone all night, last night. She kept asking me questions about Carlos and our encounter in the changing rooms. I hadn't seen him since, though. She smiled at me and we entered Maths.

Mrs Harrison was standing in a huff at the front of the class. "Please stand at the back of the room. As you may remember, after we finish an area in Maths we change the seating plan."

Sally and I both sighed. We used to sit next to each other at the back. Mrs Harrison only allowed two people to sit in the back row because she liked people sitting closer to the front. There was alway two students too many, that was Mrs Harrison solution.

She got out a piece of paper and one by one called out the names of people in the class, including Sally and Michael - the only two friends I had in the class - who were now seated together.

The teacher finally called out my name, her voice hoarse. She seated me alone at the back. It had occurred to me that Jack Martin, the stereo-typical jock, had left the class. Thank God! He was so annoying. He kept laughing in class and even resorted to using a straw as a blowpipe for spit balls. Gross. He would have been sitting next to me, had he still been here.

Despite my relief to know I wasn't sat with anyone disgusting or annoying, I did feel kind of lonely. Just as I opened my textbook to the section on algebra, I heard the classroom door open. I looked up to see a handsome figure walk into class. He had tan, golden skin and thick, brown hair.

Carlos.

"Mrs Harrison, I presume?", he asked, cocking his eyebrow. Once everyone had noticed him, in unison, all the girls sighed at his beauty.

"Yes. May I help you?"

"I believe this is my maths class. Carlos Estévez?"

Mrs Harrison checked the roll sheet. "Ah, yes. Mr Estévez. You will be sitting next to Miss Larson at the back."

Crap.

He raised his eyebrows toward me, a sly grin playing on his lips. "Will I, now?", he asked, teasing me.

"Carlos, please take your seat."

"Very well. If you insist", he stalked to the back of the room, keeping his eyes locked with mine. Once he reached his seat, he picked up the chair, walked to the front of the room and asked the teacher, "So, what do I do now?"

Everyone started laughing. Mrs Harrison, however, did not look impressed. "That's quite enough, Mr Estévez. Please return to your seat. This will be your first warning", she said, caution in her tone.

Carlos took back the chair, placed it next to me and sat in it, facing the front, all the while girls were drooling over him. He looked over at me and smiled. I ignored him and looked at the whiteboard. This was going to be a long class.