Chapter 14: Crime & Punishment

Start from the beginning

I walk away going the direction of our room and he doesn't stop me. I can control a lot of things but I can't control our mate's reactions, perceptions, or feelings. I make the best decision for everyone and sometimes shit doesn't go as planned and I can deal with it. But what I can't deal with is taking the blame for every fucking thing because other people can't deal with the consequences. One plan doesn't work you reevaluate and create a better plan of attack. One tailored better for the opposition. My line of work doesn't allow for me to get in my feelings and hesitate. A pause could mean death and I can't allow that. My pack is so strong and powerful because they trust and have faith in me.

"I do trust you" I hear causing me to take the towel down from my face. "Didn't mean to make you think otherwise. And you're right, I can't blame you for decisions that we all agreed to."

"Thank you."

"But," he stresses. "We aren't your pack. I keep telling you it's a democracy not a dictatorship. You have to put your pride to the side and fucking listen sometimes."

"Alright" I say with a nod. I walk into the closet. "I'm going to get Jordan, want to come?"

"Nah, all you."

I walk out the closet fully dressed, "you're an asshole."

He grins, "I know. Just listen to her." He kisses me softly before walking out.

I shake my head leaving out as well. Why can't she just listen and do as I say? But James is right I can't treat them like I treat my pack. They aren't obligated to follow my every command. But there's a level of respect that has to be commanded. And as a man I can say mutually. I pull up to Sue's parking directly in front of the store, she can't miss me or this conversation. Soon as I see the main lights go out I get out my car and leaning on it.

"Goodnight baby" Sue says sweetly to my mate before walking away.

"Give you a ride?" I ask eyeing her.

She shrugs before walking closer, "I got it." She says when I go to open her door. She gets in slamming the door behind her.

She's asking to be punished. Xander says.

Calm down. I reply as well as telling myself. I take a deep breath before getting in. "Do you want him?" I ask pulling off.

"Why do you guys keep asking me that? No, if I wanted to I could though. He made that clear today."

Xander growls loudly in my head as I clench my teeth. "Let me start over before this gets worse. I apologize again for inserting a friend in your life without your knowledge. It was fucked up on my part. But I won't apologize for trying to keep you safe."

I glance over to see she's looking out the window playing with her fingers. "I'm sorry for intentionally trying to hurt you as bad as I was hurt. It was childish. I don't want him but I don't want you guys to hurt him either."

I grit my teeth, "alright."

"I just need you to communicate with me if this is going to work. I don't want to feel like I have to walk on eggshells with you. That's all I did with him."

"Don't compare me to that piece of shit" I growl.

"See what I mean."

I take a calming breath. I have to remind myself that she's fragile. She's not completely human but she's not use to the supernatural world. It's never going to be my intention to have my mate fearful of me. "I'll work on it, but communication is a two-way street."

She nods, "agreed."

I pull her hand into mine, "don't you ever think of kissing anyone else ever again. I won't be as nice the next time."