Leg 1.1: Tokyo, Japan -> Los Angeles, USA

Bold and Italic text will signify when Monokuma is explaining something directly to the audience.

Italic text will signify when a team is in a post-leg interview off the race course.

Bold text will signify when the focus is put onto a new team.

Leg 1.1

My name is Monokuma. I am standing in front of the most prestigious high school in the world, Hope's Peak Academy. This is where twenty-two students will depart on a race around the world for one hundred million yen. The students will be racing without the benefit of personal computers or cell phones, and are only allowed to bring clothes, toiletries, and other necessities from home. We have surveyed Hope's Peak and have found seven people from three lucky classes, class 77-B, 78, and 79.

Our students from class 77-B are approaching us now. Let me introduce our competitors!

The doors to the school opened as the seven members of class 77-B ran outside.

Chiaki Nanami, the Ultimate Gamer.

Sonia Nevermind, the Ultimate Princess

Ibuki Mioda, the Ultimate Musician

Akane Owari, the Ultimate Gymnast

Nekomaru Nidai, the Ultimate Team Manager

Kazuichi Soda, the Ultimate Mechanic

And Nagito Komaeda, the Ultimate Lucky Student.

All seven students ran out and circled around Monokuma, jumping and clapping excitedly. Monokuma walked up to the audience on the sidelines to the students of class 77-B who either didn't make the cut or refused to participate.

"You, Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu, who of your participating classmates do you think has the best chance of winning this whole thing?" Monokuma asked.

"I would say definitely Nagito. He's very sharp, though a bit twisted."

"You, Pekopeko, what do you think?"

"Uhh... the name's Peko. And I definitely see potential in Chiaki."

Monokuma nodded and walked back to the middle of the field.

Now we have the students from Class 78th. Here they are!

Sayaka Maizono, the Ultimate Pop Sensation

Aoi Asahina, the Ultimate Swimming Pro

Celestia Ludenberg, the Ultimate Gambler

Leon Kuwata, the Ultimate Baseball Star

Chihiro Fujisaki, the Ultimate Programmer

Yasuhiro Hagakure, the Ultimate Clairvoyant

And Makoto Naegi, the Ultimate Lucky Student

The class ran into the middle of the plaza, also clapping and smiling. Once again, Monokuma went to the audience to the rest of Class 78.

"Byakuya Togami, what do you think?"

"I'm not sure who will win, but I know for certain Hiro will fall flat on his face. He's a confirmed idiot and has no redeeming qualities."