Chapter 23: Casuistry

Start from the beginning

"Yes." I respond simply.

"We're leaving after dinner." Booker answers with a shrug and takes another drink.

I look over at Acer to confirm Booker's words and he nods. How could it be this easy? Just before I was arguing with an unmoving Acer. Now they both have decided to leave today without me even asking.

"Oh." I reply and sip my coffee awkwardly.

"That is what you wanted, right?" Acer asks.

"Y-yea," my disappointment causes me to sound unsure at first. "I mean yes. Yes, I think if you guys leave until I'm done with training that would be for the best."

"Alright, then yes we're leaving after dinner." Acer shrugs.

I can't help, but notice the way he looks at Booker as if there's something I'm missing. I look between them suspiciously. It can't be this easy to get them to leave.

"And you feel safe going home, right Ace?" I ask.

"Yes Jay, I'll be good." Acer smiles and nods at me.

"You're not gonna ask me if I'm okay?" Booker asks teasingly.

I roll my eyes.

"Are you gonna be okay, Booker?" I ask sarcastically.

"Yea, it will be nice to be away from this numbskull." Booker jokes and pushes Acer.

I watch the boys rough house as I sort through my thoughts. I want to be relieved by how easy the conversation seems to be, but something about their behavior makes me feel as if I'm missing something. As if there's a secret plan I am unaware of. Acer catches sight of my curious look and raises an eyebrow.

"What's wrong?" Acer asks softly.

"What's the catch?" I question bluntly.

"Wow, didn't know us leaving was a too-good-to-be-true offer." Booker says with a light chuckle.

"It's not. I just think it's what's best for us." I argue, a bit of anger building in me. "Keeps us all safe."

"He was just kidding, Jace. What do you mean what is the catch? We just want to respect your wishes." Acer attempts to comfort me, but I shake my head.

"Booker would not agree this easily. And you Acer! You were so mad at me that I wanted you to leave early!" I point at Acer in exasperation.

"I'm just ready to see my pack I guess." Booker tries lamely.

"And I want you to see your pack, just something about this makes me feel like you guys are hiding something. Like you guys know something I don't." I say looking down at the table and crossing my arms.

"There's no catch." Acer reaches across the table and pats the wood in front of me. 

"We just want you to be happy." Booker says and I look up to see a genuine smile on his lips.

"Okay..." I nod, still feeling a bit unsure, and place my hand on top of Acer's.

[Come to the pack-house. Immediately.]  my father's voice rings clear in my head.

I groan, leaning back in my chair and running a hand through my hair. He must be preparing to lecture me about what happened at training. I'm going to be in so much trouble.

"What's wrong?" Acer asks worriedly.

"Who mind-linked you?" Booker follows.

"My father. He wants me at the pack-house." I sigh and stand up.

"Come back when you're done?" Acer asks innocently. "I want to see you before you go." 

"No, come back when he's not here." Booker teases. "Just come see me."

"Hey, no!" Acer responds quickly.

"Stop pestering him." I chuckle and roll my eyes at Booker.

I stand from the chair and make my way to where Acer is sitting at the kitchen table. I give him a quick peck on the lips and then walk over to Booker and do same. He slaps my ass playfully as I walk away.

I flip him the bird as I walk out the front door of the cabin and his laugh follows me through the door.

"See you later guys." I call out as I shut it behind me.

As I approach the pack-house I notice a small crowd of people outside it's doors. Some are members of Elysian, but others I don't recognize at all. I furrow my eyebrows as they all look up at my approaching figure.

"Jason!" a familiar voice calls out.

My eyes meet Rhys and I notice the stress in his features. His eyes are wide as if he is panicked about something. He turns away from the foreign woman he's talking to and walks my way. 

"What's going on? Has something happened?" I ask, concern building up.

"The Salama. He's here." He says, eyeing the crowd carefully and pulling me to the front door.

It's been a hot minute, hasn't it? My apologies and thank you for waiting! You all are so lovely, thank you for the support :) Finals have been taking away most of my attention, but now I am finished and home from college for an entire month! Hopefully, that means more updates!

- TDDB