Chapter 19: Forelsket

Forelsket: the euphoria you experience when you are first falling in love.

——————————-

"Jason?" my mother calls as we enter the house.

She appears in the hallway between the kitchen and the back door. Her brown hair is pulled up in a messy bun and she's carrying a dirty towel from cleaning up after dinner. When we make eye contact I can see the anger and worry in her bright blue eyes.

"Sorry, I just wanted to show them the look out." I reply softly.

"Did he run out?" my mother asks the two boys standing behind me.

"You know I'm right here." I state through gritted teeth.

"My apologies, Luna. He really was showing us." Booker speaks up, his voice changing to be more powerful and formal.

"We won't go out at night anymore." Acer assures her, to which I turn and glare at him.

"We were fine." I interject, looking to my mother. 

"Boys, would you mind if I talked to Jason in the kitchen? Alone." she answers, not looking away from me.

They mumble quick words of compliance, before approaching the stairs. Just as they reach the bottom my mom looks up at them. Her eyes softer than moments before.

"You both should head to your cabin. It's late and I'm sure your tired." my mother says, but it's more of a gentle command than a suggestion.

"Yes, Luna." Booker bows slightly and Acer follows suit. "Night, Jay."

"Good night, Jason." Acer agrees with a small wave.

"Good night." I reply, watching carefully as they go outside to their cabin.

"They'll have to go home eventually. They have families too." my mother says, turning to the kitchen.

I follow her reluctantly.

"I'm not forcing them to stay here." I reply, leaning against the oven as she begins wiping down the counter tops.

"I wasn't saying that." she retorts. "But they don't want to leave you."

"And you guys won't let me leave." I growl.

"Because you don't know how to control yourself." she says, dropping the rag she was holding and turning to be face-to-face with me.

"That's not my fault!" I yell.

"What you did to Pierce was." she rebukes, placing her hand on her hip and using the other to point at me.

"No, no it wasn't." I reply hopelessly. "You don't fucking get it, do you?"

"Don't you dare use that tone with me." she answers sternly.

"I didn't even know I could do the thing I did to Pierce. I didn't try, it just happened." I insist, looking down at the floor in shame. 

"I'm sorry." my mother says after a few quiet minutes. "You're right, I don't understand. No one ever teaches you how to raise a child with powers."

I'm unsure how to reply, so I stay quiet as she returns to wiping of the island. I decide to take a seat at one of the stools and watch her. She hands me a rag and I begin scrubbing at dried gravy.

"You're father and I feel helpless." she admits suddenly. "We want to help you, but we don't know how. All we can do is wait for this Salama in Italy and hope that he knows what to do."