Chapter 15: Wéijī

Wéijī (危機): "Crisis" or "Critical moment" from risk and opportunity, the idea that there can be a positive result in a wisely handled risk.

------------------------------------------------

"No way." he replies in shock. "Dmitri will find us."

"I don't care." I assure him, though my heart is racing. "Take me to her."

He glances at me and then sighs heavily. He turns on to a street suddenly and the rest of the drive is quiet. We pull up to his gorgeous metal home. I'd been here many times. His family welcomed me with open arms despite my identity as a werewolf. I wanted to do this for them.

We rush inside and sure enough the small dark haired girl is lying on the couch. The same red sofa all three of us had eaten popcorn and watched movies. The same red couch I had first met her on.

The vampires in the room are crying. A doctor is speaking to the parents who haven't noticed my presence yet. I look to Destrian who falls to his knees besides her and sobs.

"We should move her outside." the doctor states. "Allow her soul to rest peacefully."

Vampires who take the serum are different. They have a soul to send to a place of rest. Though I don't understand how it all works, I know he's speaking of the death angel.

"I can help." I say suddenly.

For the first time, the vampires in the room take notice of me.

"A werewolf." a woman scoffs.

"I could smell him a mile away." a man growls.

However, Destrian's mothers eyes widen when she sees me. She rushes to me and wraps her arms around me. Her dark brown, nearly black hair is pulled into a messy ponytail and her eyes are red from her tears.

"I can't allow you to risk your life." she shakes her head.

"What are you talking about?" Destrian's father demands.

He looks more angry at my interruption. He'd never been the biggest fan of me. I could never quite place my finger on if it was because I was his son's gay lover or the fact that I am a werewolf.

'Jason! Where are you?' Bookers voice tears through my mind and after his my other family and friends tear through, causing me to feel dizzy.

Without the Darminite I could contact them.

"He's a Salama." Destrian's voice breaks through the others in my mind.

"He could die." his mother argues.

A glowing pinkish-purple light flashes past the windows.

"Quick. Bring her outside." I urge, beckoning towards the front door.

Destrian carries her out and his mother follows as he places her onto the wet grass. Brown seeps into the edges of her purple dress. Destrian pulls his mother away from us as suddenly the pinkish purple light becomes brighter. I look up to see the death angel floating down, just as she had for Sage.

Her bright figure comes to a stop at Violet's feet. I reach my hand towards her. She tilts her head at me and takes my hand. She places it on the young girl's chest. I hear someone cry out and suddenly a large force field is placed around the three of us. I feel my heartbeat slow and hers begin to pick up it's pace.

'Jason, no.' Booker's voice re-enters my mind.

Then I'm out. One, two, three moments of darkness.  I awaken again gasping for air. Destrian's at my side and helps me sit up. I look quickly to my left where Violet is being held by her father.