24

07/13/16
Dear Mina,
I overheard people talking about how good you were at the competition today. I know you're popular and all that but I'm so proud! I had to fight the feeling to join them in appreciating you.
Is it weird that I'm too supportive and happy for you? The other guys say that being cheesy and emotional isn't a guy thing. That can't be true though can it? I mean, we're all humans with emotions...
Anyway, I'm proud of you.

Cole

07/14/16
Hey, girl.
I didn't get to watch you, but Cole told me all about it. He said you could be in a DC movie or any superhero movie with that speed and you won't even need an edit! He's real proud. And so are we.
I know you don't talk about it but the fact that your support system isn't like others' affects you. Hide it all you want, but I can see.
I just want you to know that even if your parents aren't like others or aren't what you secretly wish, you have a family who loves you. We do, I do. Whenever you read this, I hope you understand that.

05/16/17
Dear Mina,
You've been quieter since high school started and I don't know why. I want to ask and I keep trying but I know you don't want to talk about it. So even if you can't see this, I'm hoping my prayers are doing their part in comforting you. God is with you, I know. And He knows.
It frustrates me so much to see you in pain and I don't know why.
Please keep smiling.

Cole

07/02/17
Hey, Mina.
Your uncle and aunt from the ranch asked about you today. You're growing more beautiful and stronger every day and yet we all miss you.
You're so near yet so far from us. I miss that light of yours. You've still got a lot to go through. But we're here.
I wish I could tell you in person. It's been so long since we've had our own dates. I miss you.

Charity

08/10/17
Mina, this is Carson. I asked Cole to let me write something in here. I hope you don't mind.
You know, you're such an amazing girl. Talented and strong, beautiful and smart. You have a purpose, Mina.
I don't know what you're going through, but I know you can't get through it alone. We're here for you.
As the eldest, I see how your relationship with my younger siblings brings them up but also deeply affects them.
I want you to- I don't know... be happy again? It's so weird seeing you drift off and slowly detach yourself from almost everyone around you. I'm just glad you and Cole are good. He needs you too. More than you know

12/20/01
To my darling girl, Mina Dolore Reyes:
You are the pride and joy of your father and I. The nine months was worth the wait and I wrote this to you now as I watch you sleeping peacefully in your crib. I don't know why, but I had the urge to write this. I don't know when you'll read it but I want you to know that I love you.
I'm so excited to bring you to parks, stores and all my favorite places. I can't wait to watch you walk, swim, bike, etc. Whatever you love, I'll support.
We're not going to be perfect parents but that won't erase the fact that we are your parents.
I hope you forgive me for the mistakes I will make and love me as your mother and friend. I will do my best, love. I can't wait to hold you in my arms forever.

Love, Mom

Hey, there. It's dad. I'm not good at writing but your mom made me write this. Even if we're sharing the same card, I'm sure you'll see the difference in our words and writing.
I was so excited to see you. Now, I'm just in awe. I saw your mom struggle through those nine months and it was one of the worst seasons ever. After it though, we saw how worth it it was. You are beautiful and so precious. I love you very much.
Your mom wrote on how we won't be perfect parents. It's very much true. I hope we will come to understand each other and support one another as a family. When you read this, I hope that is what you can define our family as.

Love, dad

They take turns reading the letters and diaries to their loving girl who lies motionless on the bed.

Her heart beat is irregular, slower than normal. Her skin is pale again, and her peaceful nature is what keeps this accident different from her previous admissions to the hospital.

It's the soft smile on her face that keeps everyone's hopes up.

Her parents read their letters to her after her friends read their whole diaries.

Her mother was in her room, looking around as if for the first time. She saw the diaries and brought along that card.

The room is full of quiet patience as they feel every word each letter shares.

Nothing changes in Mina.

It's been days since the accident and Christmas break is nearing. People at school noticed her absence again but this time, no rumors were spread. Just hope and prayers.

One girl, however, had to fight the temptation to lash out. Her fame and popularity were getting her nowhere this time.

No one was noticing her as everyone focused on Mina's condition.

"It's not fair." She'd complain.

On the first day of Christmas break, the hospital receives more visitors than usual, many visiting their award-winning runner and quiet influencer.

Throughout the months of senior year, much happened and they all finally understood their champion.

She may have been through more than she showed, may have seemed either stronger or quieter than what she truly felt and may have been such a champion to everyone when she felt like a loser but she was still true and real, never making anyone pay for what she went through or exploding her emotions on anyone.

She was broken. Or at least she felt like it. But in the eyes of the people who finally understood her, she was strong and beautiful.