Different ... but in a good way

Mickey 

"No I ... I ...  I'm not drunk!" She stammered stumbling into the living room dragging a small piece of luggage behind her. "And I'm doing good. Thanks for asking." She said flopping down onto the nearby sofa. "Rude ass." She mumbled under her breath as Trevante closed the door behind her. 

His tight eyes gazing over me. I could tell he was a bit embarrassed but why. I knew all too well that we didn't get to choose our parents. He had no reason to feel ashamed. No reason at all.

"Momma what are you doing here?" He quizzed placing his attention back on her. I watched as he quickly fell to her side. Helping her out of her jacket. Which she was struggling to do alone on the sofa. 

"What do you mean what am I doing here? I came to see my only son. What? Is that a crime?" She slurred as he helped her out of her shoes. 

"No it's not." He said in a defeated tone. "I just didn't know you were coming. That's all." He admitted rising to his feet and heading into the kitchen where I was seated. Front row and center. 

He retrieved a bottle of water from the refrigerator. Before twisting the top off and heading back over to her. Gently placing it to her lips. She harshly slapped it away. "Boy I don't need you feeding me. I breast fed you for two got damn years. Fed you for sixteen. You think I cant mange to feed my god damn self." She said slightly scooting away.

"Momma ... you're drunk ... and I ..." He started before the sound of the back of her right hand hitting his left cheek could be heard echoing through the room. 

"Woo!" I yelped completely caught off guard. And for the first time she noticed I was even there. Her tight eyes focusing in on my now shocked face. 

"Why didn't you tell me you had company." She said pulling at her shirt before fixing her shoulder length black hair. Trevante holding the side of his face that she had slapped. 

"Hello Mrs. Rhodes, I'm Trevante's Mentee Mickey." I announced rising to my feet and heading over to where they were before extending my hand for her to shake. She hesitated before accepting my gesture. Rising to her feet and pulling me into a brief hug. Before patting me on the shoulder and moving me aside. 

I took this time to fall onto the coffee table where Trevante was seated. Wrapping my arm around his shoulders as he held his face. Not in pain but disbelief. "It's okay." I said reassuringly rubbing my hand across his right cheek before quickly rising to my feet. 

"Ms. Rhodes." She corrected me before heading into the kitchen. Opening cabinets in search of a glass. After finally finding one to fit her liking ,heading for the refrigerator and pulling the ice box open. In search of ice. "Mentee." She repeated heading back over to her luggage and unzipping it. Pulling out a giant bottle of vodka before heading back over to the kitchen island. "What's that? A code word for side piece because you sure as hell don't look nothing like that Maara girl he supposed to be dating." She said filling her glass two thirds before placing it to her lips. 

"We're not dating Ms. Rhodes. He's just helping me ... " I admitted causing him to hurry to his feet. "With something." I added unsure of what he didn't want me to say because he obviously didn't want me to say something. 

"Well I'm not surprised." She said bluntly before taking a seat and cutting her eyes at me. "Trevante has always been very helpful. I guess he got that trait from his father. Yeah his father would help you to if he was still alive." She said eyeing me over before letting out a fake laugh. "Come." She said gesturing for me to take a seat across from her. 

I glanced over to Trevante who only stared blankly at his mother. He probably thought she had offended me but please. I had heard worse. Hell I had said worse. So with that being said I could most definitely hang with the best of them.