I'm My Brothers Keeper

Trevante 

I sat at the table of the diner starring a packet of Truvia into a cup of black coffee. Patiently awaiting my brothers arrival. It was Friday morning. And I was looking forward to putting this week behind me seeing as how it had been pure hell. At least for the weekend that is. 

I closed the manila envelope in front of me and blew out a bit of air from my mouth. I was frustrated to say the least. There was more to the personal favor my brother had asked of me. More than just helping out some poor misguided teenage girl under his supervision. 

I had spent most of yesterday thinking about Wednesday night. Looking over her file and trying my hardest to make sense of it all but hadn't really gotten anywhere. 

There was something missing and I had the strongest feeling that my brother held the answer. 

"Trev!" He yelled pulling me away from my thoughts as he approached the table. I took to my feet in order to properly greet him seeing as how it had been a while since I last saw him. A couple of months had gone by actually. "Looking good my brother." He chimed unbuttoning his suit jacket and taking a seat across from me. 

"I should be the one telling you that." He looked as though he had beefed up his gym routine since we last encountered each other. He wasn't as big as me but I could tell he had definitely been putting in the work. 

"I do what I can." He countered with a slick grin. "Waitress!" He called out to the young girl taking an order at another table a few feet away from us. She turned around, her face full of attitude until her eyes fell on his face. 

"I'll be right over Sir." She said in a softer tone than expected. Y'lan small smiled before taking the time to glance over the thin menu. Her change in tune wasn't surprising to me in the least bit. We shared the same father and if he hadn't done much of anything else for us he had most certainly assed down his good looks. 

"What's good?" He asked placing his menu down onto the table and making eye contact with me. 

"I normally get the veggie omelet." I admitted causing him to smirk.

"Not just here Trevante." He said relaxing back into the booth. "I was surprised that you wanted to see me this beautiful Friday morning. I know there has to be another reason you invited me out besides my good looks." He joked easing some of the ensuing tension from the air. 

"Nah that was it." I joked causing us both to laugh as the waitress finally made her way over to take our orders. Making sure to flirt between the two of us as she did. Y'lan reciprocated naturally. Me not so much. "There's a reason. But I'm pretty sure you already know why." I added as the waitress gathered our menus and walked away. 

"I have my theories." He said tugging at the hairs of his chin. 

"Mackenzie Briggs." I said causing him to nod his head slowly. 

"What about her?" He asked leaning forward and placing his elbows on the table just as the waitress returned with his expresso. "I mean I had Wood slide her file under your door." He said nodding his head in the direction of where it was placed on the table. "What more do you need to know?" He quizzed taking a sip from his glass and waving his free hand in the air. 

"What connection does she have to the Estevan family?" I asked getting straight to the point. Y'lan eyes widened in shock before he quickly recovered his composure. 

"Oh ... so you know about that?" He said as if it weren't a big deal. "Look I know you have a strained relationship with the family so that's why I didn't tell you from the beginning." He said as if it were true. "She used to date Ronnie Estevan a while back." He added causing me to tilt my head in confusion. She was only eighteen and Ronnie was closer to our age. So exactly what the fuck was a while back? "Any who she got into an altercation with one of his baby mommas. You know how that goes." I didn't know how that went. "Long story short, that's how she caught her first charge."