Consequences

Mickey

"Lies!!!" Mercedes yelled nearly spitting out the sip of water she had just taken. 

"I kid you not. I pulled that muthafuckin shirt right over my head just as his bitch rounded the corner." I admitted telling more of my business than I should. But who the hell was Mercedes going to tell. She had just as many friends as I did these days.

"You a bird for that." She giggled taking another sip from her water bottle. I reclaimed my seat next to her pulling the fresh glass of mimosa to my lips before flipping her the bird. She laughed at my childishness. "You lucky that women didn't beat your ass. I would have. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. Sleeping with married men." She scuffed playfully rolling her eyes. You see, she thought I had actually slept with Trevante. And that ultimately his wife had come home early from a trip and caught us together. I had to change the story up a bit because I couldn't risk the truth getting back to my brother. 

"You ain't lying girl. I can fight but the way that bitch shoulders was set up she might have rocked my lil ass." I joked with a hint of seriousness. I had no clue who the women was that visited Trevante's apartment that morning but there was one thing I knew for certain. And that was that she was extremely fit. Not necessarily in an unattractive way. But I could tell she spent just as much time in the gym as he did. 

"Must be a classy broad. Unlike yourself." Mercedes added hitting a nerve. Now wait a minute bitch. 

"Girl fuck you!" I spat looking deeply into her eyes. She matched my stare for a moment before we both burst out in laughter. "I can be classy." I said pulling my legs from beneath me and crossing them before placing an arch in my back. Posing the part.

"Mickey please." She gawked. "You've got as much class as a high school on Sunday." She joked further. She had her nerve.

"Says the stripper." I added being my petty self. 

"Says the honest stripper who never admitted to being classy to begin with." She countered rolling her doe like eyes. "And don't be tryna slut shame me. I happen to like me job. Thank you very much." She smirked. 

"Whatever man. I can be classy." I repeated aloud but more so to myself. I could be classy. I just choose not to be. Or at least that's the lie I had been telling myself for a while now. Whatever the case I didn't need to hear that I couldn't from anyone else. 

"Okay! You're right." She said throwing up her hands in surrender. "You can be classy. And I guess a leopard can change it's spots now too." She laughed aloud. "I guess the sun revolves around the earth now too. And on a good day when it's wet outside two plus two sometimes equals five." She rambled gathering her things to leave. "Shit with that logic I can be a nun someday." She laughed heading for the door. 

"Where are you going?" I quizzed the disappointment evident in my voice. 

"I have an interview at the Vatican." She said before bursting into laughter and exiting my apartment. 

"Very funny ... lousy bitch." I mumbled getting up to lock the door behind her. 

Even though Mercedes and I weren't the best of friends we were the closest thing I had to one other than Tennessee. And the last few days I hadn't been able to get a hold of her for the life of me. 

Mercedes was a bit older than me in age but definitely not in maturity. She was a stripper who my brother messed with on and off for a couple of years. They were never an item so to speak but I had always known of her and vice versa. 

Girlfriend or not she must have meant something to Kirk seeing as how he was still very much in contact with her and supporting her the best he could from the inside.