Old Ways Die Hard

Mickey

"I think I'm going to throw up." I mumbled to myself after raising from the bent over position I had been in in order to twerk my ass. Wait a minute. Never mind. I'm fine.

"How you doing cutie?" A dusty snaggle tooth nigga asked who was old enough to be my grandfather. He reeked of irish spring, reggie and malt liquor. A deadly combination.

"Ack!" There it goes again. I placed my palm over my nose and mouth. Fighting the urge to throw up on somebody's no good ass paw-paw. He mumbled something smart under his breath before walking away. Doing me and him both a favor. "The nerve of that nigga." I mumbled to Tennessee who had just joined me with another round of drinks in her hand.

"I know right." She said rolling her eyes before throwing her waist length box braids over her shoulder. I eagerly accepted the drink she had handed me. I was all danced out and ready to get bent at this point. It had been a long trash ass day. That kick boxing class had only been the beginning of it. Every time I thought about the things he had said to me I found myself getting angry all over again. I didn't know who that Trevante nigga thought he was. Iyanla Vanzant, Dr. Phil or Oprah. What ever the case there was one thing I was certain of. And that was that he didn't know me or my life well enough to judge. "You know it gets dry in here sometimes on the weekdays." She offered.

"Desert." I added placing my hand against the chest of some lame who had thought it a good idea to grind up against me in an attempt to get me to dance with him. I shook my head no causing him to throw his arms in the air before turning away to bump up against another unexpecting victim. We both laughed before heading over to a sofa nearby. "You think Ronnie gone be here?" I asked trying to make it sound innocent. To be honest he was the main reason I had brought my ass all the way down here in the first place. That and the free liquor of course.

Ronnie was a heavy hitter from the other side of town. Which is where I was now. Growing up my brother Kirk was so overprotective of me that he had eyes on me at all times. Not much had changed even though he was now incarcerated. He still had a very loyal crew who wouldn't hesitate to report my leisure activities as well as my whereabouts. You'd think he wouldn't be able to do much from behind bars but that wasn't the case. Aside from the verbal tongue lashing he'd be sure to give me; I'd have to also expect for him to assign one of his pit bulls to keep an eye on me. And that I didn't want or need. So when I wanted to do my dirt I did it somewhere I knew his crew wouldn't be. And that was on the southside. A rival side of town.

"Big Boy said he was coming. But you know how that goes." Tennessee shrugged. I pouted my full lips before bringing my drink to my mouth. Hoping that Big Boy was right.

Tennessee was a girl I had met on Instagram. She was one of my followers who was always showing love. So I followed her back one day. A couple of likes and comments later and we were DMing each other about makeup tips, hair care and fashionable clothes. She seemed really cool and nothing like the girl in the pictures. She was very pretty and not an L.A. native. Which made it hard for her to make new friends. A lot of the girls here were snobs. And unwilling to make new friends. Especially with someone who could serve them little to no purpose. L.A. was full of movers and shakers. So if you didn't have any connections to Hollywood you were as good as useless.

Neither of us had any interest in being a part of that fame chasing crowd so naturally we decided to hang out. She invited me to her side of town and I readily accepted. Even though I knew if my brother ever got wind of it he'd flip the fuck out. But what he didn't know couldn't hurt him. And he wouldn't know. Because I sure as hell I wouldn't tell him.

Ronnie was someone who had caught my eye our first night out. He was a bit older than us and carried himself as such. I could tell a drug dealer from a mile away. And he most definitely was that. He wasn't a runner though. He was in charge. He wasn't too flashy or too loud. How ever his presence could be felt and heard. Whenever he stepped into a room people paid attention. And I liked that. He was everything my brother had warned me about. But who was he to talk. He was doing the same exact thing.