Victims

Trevante 

"So I took you back to my spot." I said finishing up. 

There was no good way to explain the look on her face. No real way to describe the pain in her eyes. No way to not feel it if you were in her presence the way I was right now. 

I thought she would interrupt me at some point. Tell me I was wrong. Or that she simply didn't believe me. I'd feel better if she said something. Anything really. But she hadn't. She just sat there and listened as if I were telling her the secrets to life. 

She sat there so long she scarred me. I didn't know what to say to her at this point. Because I honestly didn't know what she was thinking. I figured she was hurt. I gathered she felt betrayed. Perhaps foolish even. But until she was ready to talk I'd allow her silence to fill the room. 

I went on about my work per usual. Finishing what needed to be done before the close of the week. Allowing myself to snatch glances at her from my desk as she starred blankly out of a nearby window. And this went on for hours. 

I was no stranger to grief. It was actually a feeling I knew all too well. With that being said I knew everyone processed it differently. And if silence was a part of her process then I wouldn't dare interrupt it. Not a moment before she was ready to break it. 

I won't lie and say my mind didn't wonder off occasionally. I wanted to know what she was thinking. A part of me wondered if she blamed me. Only because a part of me wondered if there was something I could have done differently to prevent this. This pain she was now feeling. 

A innocent life had been lost. A young woman's future had been snatched away. The thing I was trying to prevent had already happened right under my damn nose. And I hadn't the slightest fucking clue. 

I started to doubt myself. As the things Maara had said to me once again ran across my mind. 

"Just promise me that you're going to be careful. And if at any point something feels off you'll leave it alone." Truth is everything felt off. And the more I thought about it the more I realized how off this whole thing was from the start. 

Had I ignored my better senses? Had my judgement been clouded due to my personal motives? What exactly had I gotten myself into here?

Bodies were like lies. And we all know once you tell one lie you have to tell another to keep the first one hidden. And on the streets once you killed one person you'd have to kill another to keep the first one hidden. Tennessee may have been the first but she damn sure wasn't going to be the last. This was only the beginning of something far more deadly. I could feel it in my loins. 

I closed my laptop softly and turned away from the desk. Placing my hands against my face before allowing them to slide down it. It was now five o'clock in the afternoon. Four hours had passed since I found Mackenzie seated in my office. Four hours had passed since I told her everything that had happened that night. Four hours had passed since she last spoke. 

I took to my feet and headed over to her. Taking a seat next to her and placing my hand on her shoulder. Causing her to break her stare into the window. She softly turned her head over her shoulder but only enough to reveal her profile. Before allowing it to fall. "Mickey I'm really sorry about your friend. I should have done more." I added. Finally speaking up. 

"Don't do that." She said just above a whisper. "You couldn't have known that things would play out like this." She said a bit louder before turning in her seat. "To be honest she wouldn't have even been there if it wasn't for me begging her to go." She began to shake her head softly. "After our class the other day I just felt everything you said to me. It hit me like a ton of bricks." She said finally taking the time to look me in the face. "I've never had someone be so honest with me ya know."